People not cutting the TV cord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: doitmyself

People read in moderation, exercise in moderation, and eat healthy in moderation. Why not quality television in moderation?

I don't know why responsible television presents such a challenge for some people.

responsible television isnt the issue. Its the amount of garbage that costs hundreds if not thousands of dollars a year to waste time on.

This. I agree with both comments 100%, but the issue here is TV just has plain junk on it. I can think of quite a few shows I consider tasteful, but it is all very $$$ (and you pay for mostly commercials) and I can either find them on the web, or buy the seasons.

A lot of people watch waaaaaaay too much TV though. I cant stress that enough. Has anyone watched the new Lego movie? They live in a stupefied society where all they watch is garbage, do the same thing at work etc. It was an excellent joke on pope culture IMO.

So, I need someone to explain the obvious here, a point brought up by Hokyfied.

Regarding the comments "I have much better things to spend my time on", how is spending many hours on the internet participating in threads like this constitute "better time" than keeping up with the Kardashians, Honey Boo Boo, or the wackmaster Ted Nugent?

I don't get it.

I have 4,600 posts here over 12 years. Multiply by a conservative 10 minutes surf time per post, and I have spent 766 HOURS of quality time here vs. time in the garden, with my spouse, with my kids and grandkids, etc.. Scary.

Lots and lots of garbage on TV. I think we all know that. Same for the internet.

But if a person spends some time looking for quality programs, they are certainly available on TV.

Entertainment is a rather subjective thing anyway. What one person finds enjoyable...the next considers it mind-sapping.

I would like to see providers allow for a customer to select only networks that they desire to have and pay for just those channels. We all have individual tastes and it would be nice to see cable companies cater to those tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back