Pentefrost a2 or Peak Asian Green For 2008 Elantra

Hello just trying to get a suggestion on a coolant for the 2008 Elantra. The manual said Ethylene Glycol Coolant which is no real help. Peak Asian green states that will work on my car. I think the Pentefrost A2 will also work. I was thinking of Zerex asian blue as that was recommended by Napa. Someone posted that Pentefrost A3 whould work where asian blue coolants were called for. But Advanced Auto Parts said that A3 is not for my car. I think my 4th gen Hyundai engine is simalar to the previous 2000 - 2006 Elantra engine so kind of old tech. The additives get confusing. I even looked at Rotella elc and there was the nitrate scare. Any help is appreciated.

I flushed mine out with distilled water, then added Peak 10x universal coolant since I have several cars that use it. From the research I did, I found that The Elantra doesn't seem picky about coolant and anything isn't an issue. As long as you flush out the old stuff, what you use shouldn't matter.

Reactions: pbm
The Peak Asian green and blue are identical formulas except for the color. Blue will work fine in the Hyundai, the reason I don't like the green is there is always the chance some dim bulb may add old school green to it at some point.
Compare the two..

Attachments

• peak blue.pdf
    272.4 KB · Views: 20
  • peak green.pdf
    272.6 KB · Views: 21
Agree with Trav. Same with Pentofrost A2 and A3. A2 is concentrated and A3 is 50/50. I use A2 in my daughter's Soul without issues.

Thank you for the replies. I think I may go universal. Probably Peak 10x. I have concerns about the Asian formulas. I think the the Asian formula coolants were optimized for Aluminum block engines. My 2008 with a cast iron block which goes back to 2000. For example, Chevron breaks down my generation of Elantra into 2 year groups I think it was 2006-08 and 2009-10. For my 08 they offer conventional or universal. I have not ruled out Prestone universal.

For mixed metal engine eg iron block, aluminum head radiator and heater core I use JD CoolGuard II. Available at any JD dealer, it is a well proven coolant for this type of engine gas or diesel. Very good stuff.

JDVC76215-005 info-500x500.jpg

I will look into the JD cool 2 option. Is this made by Reochem? I looked at Reochem info for their long life OAT based coolant. Under their key points, they state that it is compatible with other long life coolants but incompatible with conventional coolants.
One reason I was thinking of going universal, is that my coolant will be changed at the same time I am replacing the timing belt. I will not be doing the work myself. I did buy a new thermostat, coolant temp sensor and radiator cap. I don't know how the flush is going to go. I know that something always remains. I bought the car used. I don't know what coolant is really in the car. That is a main reason I might go universal.

JD cool II compatibility test were done on diesel applications. They do say it works in autos, but they don't recommend mixing with auto coolants. I do understand they are mostly talking about not lowering cavitation performance by mixing. I think I will avoid Prestone, because I have no way of telling if their Asian formula is any different than their all makes and models. Probably going to chose a Peak or Zerex offering.

Back