Penske Switches back to Ford in 2013!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't matter, the only thing that will be "Ford" on that car is the emblem and the decal design it has for a grille.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Too bad Chrysler is losing their best NASCAR team!

How about their only cup team IIRC.

To me, it is the problem with NASCAR. When real cars were used ond modified, it was a great thing to watch. Now its just sheet metal over a tubular frame with a manufacturer's badge on it and almost identical stuff (power train)underneath. BORING!! And then add in restrictor plates....

Originally Posted By: Provi

I don't know if he really counts, but Robby Gordon's Cup car is a Dodge.

Penske has always been about a 1/2 step behind the big boys in Nascar. Always competitive but not the Indy car success.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Provi

I don't know if he really counts, but Robby Gordon's Cup car is a Dodge.

Robby Gordon hasn't really been competitive and he only runs that team part-time. Word is that he could sell that team. I think Dodge is in trouble unless they can pick up another team.

Something else to think about.... Michael Waltrip is in its final year with Toyota. So I'm not sure if that could play a part in the Dodge situation or not.

I think that Ford's FR9 engine package did it for Penske. It was also disclosed yesterday that Ford gave Penske support for 5 yrs. Chysler would only commit to 2 years.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Funny thing is he switched to Chevrolet in Indycar!

It is. But the reason that Penske didn't switch the NASCAR program to Chevy was because there are so many teams racing them, which means that Roger would have more competition in fighting for the big piece of the pie as far as manufacturer support is concerned. Fewer teams running Fords right now.

Ford doesn't have an engine in Indycar.

Originally Posted By: mercuryblues
But the reason that Penske didn't switch the NASCAR program to Chevy was because there are so many teams racing them, which means that Roger would have more competition in fighting for the big piece of the pie as far as manufacturer support is concerned. Fewer teams running Fords right now.

even fewer running dodges (essentially JUST Penske, save a few single car operations)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flacoman
Wonder what Robby Gordon will do without an engine builder...

I was just on jayski.com and there's a report that Penske could continue to build Dodge engines for other teams, even after they go to Ford next year. I think Roger Penske said that they still want to make the most out of their investment with the engine building shop.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Ford doesn't have an engine in Indycar.

I know, but Penske switched to Chevrolet in Indycar first then announced the switch to Ford in NASCAR, after 1 year ago getting a deal with Shell/Pennzoil and Chrysler.

then again he did run Chevrolets in the 90s in the Marlboro Indycars while Rusty Wallace was in the Miller Beer Ford in NASCAR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back