Pennzoil ultra platinum additive fallout

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently filled the rig with pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 and noticed the notorious dark stuff at the bottom of the 5 qt jug. This was a fairly new jug from amazon (less than 6 months old). Is this actually additive? And if so is the amount at the bottom of my jug enough to take away from the antiwear properties?

We get this question asked numerous times a year. The oil is fine, next time shake the jugs real well before using them. I've seen it in every major brand at one time or another.

Had the same thing when I tried PP 0W-40. No amount of shaking would get it off the bottom.

Haven't seen it with Mobil or Castrol. It may harken with Edge, but you'd never know since it's in a black bottle.

Has Pennzoil ever commented?

I've seen this with virtually every brand.....it's harder to notice in dark containers (like Castrol Edge black, Havoline etc...). I usually cut the containers with a blade and pour a little oil into the remaining part of the container and stir it up (by finger) and then pour it into the engine. I do this because all the shaking in the world doesn't help to put this additive dropout back into suspension.

It has been noted here that it might be more apparent with Pennzoil’s yellow jugs than with the others. A good habit is to shake the oil before pouring and if there is anything left on the bottom,, don’t worry about it.

Back in the '80's Mobil1 was doing this (settling out) and created quite a stir. Some people thought it was contamination from refinery pipes and others thought it was additives settling out. Mobil never said what it was but they commented that it was harmless.

Here's an old bottle of AFE I used for top up oil for my van when the push rod cover was leaking. It has been sitting for a while. The picture isn't the greatest but you can see the fallout on the bottom of the bottle, it's the darkness in the bottom indentation. The picture actually looks better than the actual bottle does.

Last edited:
I cut the jug and stired it with my finger and poured it into a 1 qt bottle of platinum i had sitting for topoff.

I have never actually checked the bottom of the oil jugs, but I do always shake before pouring in.

In order to meet specs, all the additives have to be there. This can't be good. I doubt any oil producer would say it's not a problem. You could take a pic and send it to Pennzoil, maybe get some free oil.

I think the additives will eventually regroup after mixing.
I noticed brown color streaks in the oil if I let it drip from the dipstick. I have a thread about this.

Edit:
This is what I observed & posted before with pppp 5wx30 (not the ultra):

"I checked the oil after the car had been sitting over-night (i.e. cold) and I see some oil streak of darker color.
The oil is amber or darker amber but I see brown streak like a vane or hair line when I let it drip from the dipstick."

Btw, I am not worried about it, just an observation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back