Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 vs Amsoil 0w40 SS (Blackstone UOA)

One of the things I dislike about Blackstone Labs is they make up their own values for viscosity grades. They claim that the 100C cSt viscosity for a 40 grade oil is 11.6-14.5, when in reality, SAE defined 40 grade oil as having a 100C cSt of 12.5 to 16.29. Given that reality, the Amsoil has experienced a small amount of shearing.

One of the things I dislike about Blackstone Labs is they make up their own values for viscosity grades. They claim that the 100C cSt viscosity for a 40 grade oil is 11.6-14.5, when in reality, SAE defined 40 grade oil as having a 100C cSt of 12.5 to 16.29. Given that reality, the Amsoil has experienced a small amount of shearing.
Blackstone has shown they cannot properly measure viscosity. One does not know if there really was any deviation, plus with the way they estimate fuel dilution nobody really knows if that was the cause instead of mechanical shear.

Blackstone Labs oil analysis sample results for my 2019 Dodge Charger 392. There are two oil sample tests being posted.

The first sample is of the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (SRT label) run with 3500 miles. This has been the factory fill since purchasing the car new 2/15/19.

Filter used for both oil sample results is: (SRT filter) 5038041AA
*Been using this brand/model oil filter since my first oil change.

I haven't seen any other UOA tests comparing both Amsoil 0w40 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40, hopefully this will provide some insight for anyone curious about either brand for their Dodge Charger/Challenger with the 392 or Hellcat engine variants.

PENNZOIL ULTRA PLATINUM 0w40 (SRT) 3500 miles on sample. This sample would have been from my 3rd oil change since owning the vehicle.
View attachment 47152

Below is the Amsoil 0w40 Signature Series (12/8/20) vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (5/27/20 same as above)
*Note, the mileage on the Amsoil sample is incorrect due to my typo error when submitting the sample. The Amsoil sample actually has 2700 miles, NOT 3500. This sample data would be of my 4th oil change since owning the car. So the Amsoil had 2700 miles on its sample, vs Pennzoil having 3500 miles.

AMSOIL 0w40 SS (left column) vs Unit Averages (center column) vs Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 (right column)

View attachment 47153

As of this posting, my Charger is currently using Amsoil 0w40 SS, with SRT oil filter. I'm at 2000 miles, so I have a little ways to go before sending this engine oil sample off to blackstone for a second test of the Amsoil. The Charger just turned over at 15,000 miles. So once I submit this Amsoil sample, it will dictate if I continue using the Amsoil, or switch back to Pennzoil.

Have been considering trying Redline 0w40, or Schaeffers 0w40.

Lastly, I noticed the Moly content between both the Amsoil and Pennzoil are near identical to averages.

Could someone explain to me the different amounts of the Boron and Calcium contents.

As well as what base stocks are used for the Pennzoil and Amsoil? Isn't the Pennzoil considered a Group III as well?
Interesting. Thanks for this work. Looks like it's pay your money and take your choice, so far.

So the Amsoil did worse on less miles and on an OCI after the PUP when wear metals should be gradually going down on a newer engine, do I have that correct?
That’s partially a fool’s errand you’re talking about here- just like the “Mobil 1 is garbage because my UOA showed higher iron!”

It’s been discussed numerous times that when switching oil brands & formulas that differing chemicals will chelate different elements.

With only a single sample, on both oils, it is perfectly reasonable at this point to assume the obverse- the Pennzoil had higher wear and simply didn’t keep iron and copper (especially with an oil cooler) in suspension as well, allowing it to settle in the engine. Then, it’s possible that the Amsoil was able to release those off of the oiled surfaces and keep it in suspension- looking “worse” but yet in reality simply getting leftovers out from previous oil.

It’s why you frequently see something similar to “a single sample is about as accurate as a misinformed guess” and why you really need multiple runs on a given oil to get a stable, accurate picture of what that oil is going to deliver. If OP runs the Amsoil two times more and the “wear” metals don’t drop off, then maybe your assumption has a little merit.

Where are you buying the 0w40 PU? I'm sure you're paying a premium for it.
I'd probably stick to one of the 0w40 or 5w40 Euro oils available at Walmart if I owned a hemi Chrysler.
The QS Euro 5w40 should be fine in Florida...0w40 M1 would probably work very well too. I'd probably 'stretch' my OCI to 5K as well.

Back