Pennzoil ultra noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the tuck with around 89k 3 years ago (Around 110 now) so I don't know when the last time it had a tune up or anything was changed and I do not have a scan tool. I already planned on doing a full tuneup among other things after I am done with this night watchmen gig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Swap the filter out with a $3.27 Walmart classic to rule out the filter.

I always use this filter so unless I just got a bad one I really don't think that's it.

Startup noise is a warning of a bad anti backflow valve which can happen with any filter. Watch your oil pressure gauge or warning light to see if it takes longer to build up pressure. Slow pressure buildup is deadly to 4.6 engines as the chain tensioners are oil powered. Good luck.

It could be the thicker oil, sorta. Thicker oil is a greater challenge to your filters ADBV, that's part of why many struggle with start up noise in the winter but not otherwise.

So while you current filters ADBV may be fine on your car with thinner oil, the thicker oil could be exposing it's shortcomings.

What filter are you running?

Just put another 820S on it and see if it goes away. If it does, take the old one back and tell them the anti drain back valve failed and you want a refund.
If it doesn't then reuse the old one on your next change. Either way it costs you nothing to eliminate the possibility of a defective filter.

A Motorcraft "S" series would have been my top recommendation for start up noise problems, so unless you happened to get a bad one no filter is going to fix that issue IMO you'll need to look elsewhere.

Probably the i-VTEC cam gear is sticky, or lacking enough oil flow at startup to unlock. Common for people to misdiagnose this as ADB.

You sure it's not just injector noise or even an exhaust leak? On my 5.4 Excursion, injector noise is fairly audible and I do have an exhaust leak that is quite loud on start up. I doubt the oil did anything; you should be looking elsewhere.

Probably the i-VTEC cam gear is sticky, or lacking enough oil flow at startup to unlock. Common for people to misdiagnose this as ADB.

On a Mercury Mountaineer????
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

crazy2.gif

OMG.. I am. This was was a response to one of gregk24's numerous Honda ticking threads.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

crazy2.gif

OMG.. I am. This was was a response to one of gregk24's numerous Honda ticking threads.
33.gif

LMAO!!!
cheers3.gif
No worries bud, I just thought it was funny
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back