Pennzoil Synthetic Blend any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
they introduce oil at a good price and then when people start buying a lot of it the bump up the price and then everyone stops buying it.

I have an allergy to synthetic blends, so I have not tried it. It's likely fine for use in non-DI/non-turbo engines.

GM's present smaller DI and/or turbo engines have a nasty habit of shredding AC Delco dexos1 syn-blend to shreds in short order. 5k miles in the port-injected/turbo 1.4T in the Cruze is all that the Delco syn-blend is good for. A cheap "synthetic" like QSUD is still within specification with active additive left at 8000 miles, and is just barely out of specification viscosity-wise at 9000 miles. That's based on my UOA's of my Cruze.

So, the consensus that it is fine for most older cars out there is spot-on. I would not run it in a newer DI car, though.

It's been at my local Wal-Mart for a while. I think it's probably a great oil like all SOPUS offerings seem to be. But why bother? It's just under $5 a qt. and one might as well pick up a jug of QUSD for that price...

I didn't try it but I did notice that the semi syn dexos 1 only carries the gm 6094 spec yet the PP full syn Deos 1 carries both gm 6094 and the Corvette spec 4718 that are both supposed to be superceded by dexos 1. If that is the case, then wouldn't both PP and the semi both say they cover the 4718 spec?

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I didn't try it but I did notice that the semi syn dexos 1 only carries the gm 6094 spec yet the PP full syn Deos 1 carries both gm 6094 and the Corvette spec 4718 that are both supposed to be superceded by dexos 1. If that is the case, then wouldn't both PP and the semi both say they cover the 4718 spec?

The 4718M spec is obsolete.

I don't run out and buy syn/blend oils but, if there is some at a really good price(on sale, rebate, w/filter, closeout etc.) I'll buy it for sure.

I just don't know that syn/blend oils are any better than their dino brother as we never really know how much synthetic is mixed in with the dino oil. Though I believe they're good oils, are they worth the extra cost?

I'd just rather mix my own blend and call it a day! This way, I know exactly what going into my engine, for example...2 qts PP/3 qts PYB
laugh.gif

ATMOF, on Saturday, I just did an OCI of 2 qts PP/3 qts QSGB. Mostly, I'll do similar OCI's

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back