Pennzoil Platinum with PurePlus Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
PurePlus Technology is a patented, revolutionary process that converts pure natural gas into the first-of-its-kind, high quality full synthetic base oil used in Pennzoil Platinum motor oils. PurePlus Base Oil formulated from natural gas is crystal clear and contains fewer of the impurities found in crude oil, the traditional base for many other conventional and synthetic motor oils.

Your description of the base is similar to that used by marketers of high index Group II and Group III suppliers. (although the process to produce these oils are obviously very different) Because of this I am curious about the purity levels, stability and overall viscosity performance of PurePlus base oils. Do you expect that they will perform better than / equal to other Group III/III+ Base Oils available from other suppliers?

Will Shell be marketing the PurePlus Base Oil to independent blenders? (is it possible we will see this base show up in products blended by other manufacturers)?

Will your HDEO (fleet/diesel) oils such as T6 be reformulated with GTL?

Will T6 0w-40 become widely available in the US market?

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Which of these new products will have a Dexos license?

The bottles I saw at wally had a dexos logo. They were 5w-20 and 5w-30.

Will 0w-20 or 0w-30 be available in the premium line?

Will there be any availability of xw-50 oils in either line for high performance applications?

(1) As a user of Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w40..where does that product fit in the new Pennzoil Platinum® and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ offering??

Is it being discontinued? Or will there be a product called Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w40 Euro with PurePlus?

(2) It has been suggested the Pennzoil 5w40 Ultra Euro has been manufactured GTL (PurePlus) for some time now..is that true? If so, now long?

Last edited:
  • Can you comment on which Pennzoil products you see as the comparable to the following Mobil products. (Not asking for comments on the competitor, just classing as it were)

Mobil 1 EP = ?
    Mobil 1 = ?
    Mobil 1 HM = ?
    Mobil 1 AFE = ?
    Mobil 1 ESP = ?
    Mobil Super Synthetic = ?

• Will any of these new oils carry VW certification 507 for Common Rail TDI engines.

• Will Shell Motorcycle oils be converted to a GTL base and will they ever become available in the United States particularly for Ducati.

• Will Rotella T6 be converted to GTL and will it continue to be JASO MA rated.

Thank you Shell for your effort of contacting the end consumer.

- Will the SOPUS, European and Latin American made Helix oils use PurePlus as well?

- If I'm not mistaken Shell produces branded oils for car manufacturers (e.i. Toyota in Spain?), will these use PurePlus (GTL) as base-stocks as well?

Thanks!

Pennzoil team,

Thank you for interacting with BITOG members via this Q&A.

1) What is the shelf life (in years) of the new Pennzoil motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology?

2) Will the additive package of the new motor oils deplete over time?

3) Will additive package contents settle in the carrier GTL oil over time, requiring the bottle to be shaken to reblend the contents? By extention, do you recommend giving a bottle a shake to reblend the contents?

We look forward to your responses.

First off, thank you for this opportunity to interact with your staff directly. I am a current Pennzoil user and really appreciate the transparency that's being provided.

My first question is, will PurePlus base oils also be used in Pennzoil Gold and Synthetic Blend? If so, at what percentages (regarding ratio of conventional to synthetic)?

Second question is, will Pennzoil be releasing a High Mileage version of Platinum or Ultra Platinum? A full synthetic from SOPUS with added seal conditioners would be fantastic. I am referring to a product that would compete directly with Mobil 1 High Mileage.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Will Quaker State move towards GTL as well?

And with this change, how will this affect Quaker State?

And how will this affect the future of your dino oils?

With more and more cars requiring either either a syn blend or full syn, might these two just become the new "syn blends"? (Though there would be no more need for the dexos/gold blend...

When can we get some answers? LOL. Just kidding. Shell has great products and I will continue to use them in my fleet of vehicles. Thanks...

Last edited:
I don't have any questions that haven't already been asked, but would like to thank SOPUS for following and listening to the net citizens on BITOG and for giving us the opportunity to "speak" directly with the technical folks at SOPUS.

How much cleaner will this new baseoil keep my pistons compared to the old formula?
Will the Ultra version keep my pistons cleaner compared to PP?

How about compared to PYB?

Why do your products typically cost 30% more at auto parts stores than walmart?

Are the SOPUS products sold at walmart exactly the same as the ones sold at AutoZone, O'Reilly, Advance Auto etc..??

How about quick oil change shops that use bulk Pennzoil? Is the bulk stuff the same high quality stuff available in retail stores?

Will there be any promotions/specials/coupons offered during the official launch of the PurePlus products?

Thanks,
a cynical American consumer

1) Are there plans to have a 0W-20 weight of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum? Any ideas on if it'll be available in 5 qt. jugs?

2) We can see the technical data sheet for the new Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 online. Any chance of realeasing these specs for PUP as well?
-If not, could you tell us what the VI and viscosity (at 40 and 100 degrees C) is for Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Pure Plus 0W-20?

3) Does Pennzoil believe there would be an advantage to using a oil with an EVEN higher VI and hence lower cold viscosity (compared to what PU PP and PUP PP have) in 0W-20 weight?

4) Do both Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum use the regular form of molybdenum or do they use Infinium's tri-nuclear moly? Does this depend based on weight of oil?

I would like to add the Ultra in 0-20. We need to have Ultra more available in North-East, Fl. The Platinum is readily available in this area.
PP and PU are fine products. I am a former dedicated Amsoil user. I did not like the way Amsoil reformulated their PCMO when the industry went to the SN designation. Amsoil hydro-cracks just like everyone else.

Hello BITOG members!

We at Pennzoil greatly appreciate you taking the time to submit questions and your interest in Pennzoil Platinum® and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum™ Full Synthetic motor oils with PurePlus™ Technology. At 12:00pm ET today, we officially closed the question portion of this Q&A and are now working with our full team of technicians and brand representatives to provide answers.

Thank you again for your interest and support of the new Pennzoil Platinum and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with PurePlus Technology. Stay tuned for answers in the coming weeks!

-The Pennzoil Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back