Pennzoil Platinum LV quality?

Looked around and I didn’t find anything that delved into the quality of Pennzoil Platinum LV atf. It’s usually referenced as a cheaper, licensed, alternative to other brands such as OEM, Valvoline, Castrol, etc.
Curious if anyone here has any knowledge about the quality of this product.

Background on my needs:
2016 f150 requires Mercon LV but now out if warranty.
2016 Nissan NV passenger requires Matic S but is now out of Warranty.
Obviously I want something that is speced and wirks for both since I am changing out both at the same time which simplifies things.
Looked at Castrol Universal full synthetic but hard to get here in Alaska for a decent price.
Valvoline MaxLife which says its good for both.
Supertech but that is more expensive than Maxlife from Walmart here.
Our Homedepot has plenty of Pennzoil Platinum LV by the quarts which is cheaper than the cheapest alternative Maxlife by the gallon.
Platinum LV is $5.98 qt
Maxlife is $28.82 gal or $7.92 qt.
Plus quarts might be easier to use to fill the f150 transmission and transfer case.

So back to the main question…quality of Pennzoil Platinum LV? Especially compared to Maxlife?

The Platinum LV is fine :)

It is licensed Mercon LV and thus carries formal approval from Ford.

PP LV will work in both the F150 and the Nissan.

On the mainland, Maxlife is usually cheaper, more widely available, and much easier to find than PP, but in your case, the PP is definitely the better choice.

The Platinum LV is fine :)

It is licensed Mercon LV and thus carries formal approval from Ford.

PP LV will work in both the F150 and the Nissan.

On the mainland, Maxlife is usually cheaper, more widely available, and much easier to find than PP, but in your case, the PP is definitely the better choice.
Yes, it should be fine. It just doesn’t get much attention around here and it gives me pause about how long it will last and whether it will eventually cause problems.
Guess the old adage, “you get what you pay for” does not always apply to vehicle fluids but it does worry me a little.

Going to replace the F150 pan cover with one that drains so I can do this more easily in the future.

Last edited:
Dexron VI (GM) is the same as Mercon LV (Ford) ...... so use whatever is cheaper. Look for Approved and Licensed by General Motors

Yes, it should be fine. It just doesn’t get much attention around here and it gives me pause about how long it will last and whether it will eventually cause problems.
Guess the old adage, “you get what you pay for” does not always apply to vehicle fluids but it does worry me a little.

Going to replace the F150 pan cover with one that drains so I can do this more easily in the future.
The reason it doesn't get much attention is because it's not widely available. The only place I've ever seen PP LV is Pep Boys, which is in the process of closing all their stores.

However, the cheapest licensed Mercon LV is licensed Mercon LV, so there will be no problems with it :)

The drain plug is definitely a good idea!

Why not MotorCraft Mercon LV? $25.79 a 5 quart jug at Rock Auto. What is it you find to be superior in Pennzoil over the Motorcraft? Legitimate question as I spent some time digging into LV. I have a 15 Lariat 5.0 and do drain/fill/filter/gasket every 30k. I would have liked to do an early pan drop/fill and then a flush every 60k but (sorry I'm drawing a blank of the name of this) I found in order to do the flush you are fighting your intentions as there is a bypass until temps are up there ... otherwise the flush won't get it all. SO I'm every 30k for that truck.

Why not MotorCraft Mercon LV? $25.79 a 5 quart jug at Rock Auto. What is it you find to be superior in Pennzoil over the Motorcraft? Legitimate question as I spent some time digging into LV. I have a 15 Lariat 5.0 and do drain/fill/filter/gasket every 30k. I would have liked to do an early pan drop/fill and then a flush every 60k but (sorry I'm drawing a blank of the name of this) I found in order to do the flush you are fighting your intentions as there is a bypass until temps are up there ... otherwise the flush won't get it all. SO I'm every 30k for that truck.
It will be higher priced here plus I’m looking at doing a Nissan NV at the same time and for simplicity, I want the same fluid.

The reason it doesn't get much attention is because it's not widely available. The only place I've ever seen PP LV is Pep Boys, which is in the process of closing all their stores.

However, the cheapest licensed Mercon LV is licensed Mercon LV, so there will be no problems with it :)

The drain plug is definitely a good idea!
Good point. Home Depot carries it here. If Walmart carried it, there would be a great deal more discussion.
Mercon LV suitable replacement for Matic S? I try to make my life simpler by not having a dozen different fluids laying around. So I’m looking for a fluid that works in both vehicles.

Good point. Home Depot carries it here. If Walmart carried it, there would be a great deal more discussion.
Mercon LV suitable replacement for Matic S? I try to make my life simpler by not having a dozen different fluids laying around. So I’m looking for a fluid that works in both vehicles.

It will work fine where Nissan Matic S is called for :)

I used Pennzoil LV in my Honda for about 2 years when my local HD stocked it. This van is notoriously hard on ATF, especially with towing (i frequently tow a boat). The Pennzoil performed well, just like the other syn fluids I have used in this van (Maxlife, Amalie, etc).

Back