Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 BMW M2 Competition S55 4,500 mi

One of the cheapest and most abundant LL-01 oils here in Canada from Canadian Tire.
I got 5L for $35 the other day (~$26 USD).
Lives up to the reputation for shearing down.
Filter was Mann HU816X

Not a bad report for doing many short trips and a track day.

However I'm not excited about using this on a hot track day with longer straights and 550whp (just got the E85 flex fuel kit and tune).
Maybe I'll try Motul 8100 Xcess or Redline 5w40 next year now that warranty has expired.

Thoughts?
Another Owner's S55 engine UOA report is attached for comparison.

Attachments

• M2CPPE1.jpg
    M2CPPE1.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 561
  • Redline 5w40.jpg
    Redline 5w40.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
Is mixing PPE and RL a bad idea?
There will undoubtedly be some leftovers in the oil cooler.
Just don't want some foaming issue or something stupid on race day..

By virtue of the A40 approval this Pennzoil is suitable for the Porsche 911 GT3 RS. I'd say it's suitable for your tuned S55.

On an aside Pennzoil sheared less than the Redline 5w40. The reason why Pennzoil looks worse is that it has a lower starting viscosity but that's not a big deal at least to powerhouse racing automaker like Porsche. So take that for what it's worth.

Pennzoil shear 2.51 cSt
RL shear 3.16 cSt

You can mix RL and Pennzoil.

@Nathan thank you for posting.

The Quaker State Euro 5W-40 and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (they could use shorter names) are all Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40. I was wondering why Shell doesn't bother too much with their 0W-40, until I found this bit of info: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/46866-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-api-sp-svezhee/

Make sure you open the link with Google Chrome and hit Translate to English. This oil is so so good. The only other oil I can think of is Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and 5W-40.

One of the cheapest and most abundant LL-01 oils here in Canada from Canadian Tire.
I got 5L for $35 the other day (~$26 USD).
Lives up to the reputation for shearing down.
Filter was Mann HU816X

Not a bad report for doing many short trips and a track day.

However I'm not excited about using this on a hot track day with longer straights and 550whp (just got the E85 flex fuel kit and tune).
Maybe I'll try Motul 8100 Xcess or Redline 5w40 next year now that warranty has expired.

Thoughts?
Another Owner's S55 engine UOA report is attached for comparison.

Looks good for the drives. Shear don't mean nuthin', unless, VIS is waaaay down. Your wear numbers are good.

@Nathan thank you for posting.

The Quaker State Euro 5W-40 and Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 (they could use shorter names) are all Shell Helix Ultra SP 5W-40. I was wondering why Shell doesn't bother too much with their 0W-40, until I found this bit of info: https://www.oil-club.ru/forum/topic/46866-shell-helix-ultra-5w-40-api-sp-svezhee/

Make sure you open the link with Google Chrome and hit Translate to English. This oil is so so good. The only other oil I can think of is Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 and 5W-40.

Thanks for the info. That link provides some serious test results!
It seems that Helix has some different specs though?
PPE vs Helix
CST@100C 13.3 vs 12.8
@40C 80.8 vs 75.7
Pour Point -40 vs -36
Moly still 100ppm though which I like to see!

I guess managing shearing (high boost mileage) should be my main concern, especially with it being a lower viscosity 40w fresh out the bottle.

You're right about QS Euro and PPE being the same, at least in manufacturer-published documents.
The only discrepancy between the two is a slight difference in pour point -39 QS vs -40 PPE
This may indicated higher GTL content in PPE?

Attachments

• qsvsppe5w40.jpg
    qsvsppe5w40.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 29
Thanks for the info. That link provides some serious test results!
It seems that Helix has some different specs though?
PPE vs Helix
CST@100C 13.3 vs 12.8
@40C 80.8 vs 75.7
Pour Point -40 vs -36
Moly still 100ppm though which I like to see!

I guess managing shearing (high boost mileage) should be my main concern, especially with it being a lower viscosity 40w fresh out the bottle.

You're right about QS Euro and PPE being the same, at least in manufacturer-published documents.
The only discrepancy between the two is a slight difference in pour point -39 QS vs -40 PPE
This may indicated higher GTL content in PPE?
Current PPE is -45.

I was planning on running this oil in my M2 CS once the free maintenance is done, hoping the Castrol BMW 0w30 holds up to my pounding of the car, no track usage but a lot of canyon driving. It's typically changed around 10-11 months with 3.5-4k miles of usage.

I was planning on running this oil in my M2 CS once the free maintenance is done, hoping the Castrol BMW 0w30 holds up to my pounding of the car, no track usage but a lot of canyon driving. It's typically changed around 10-11 months with 3.5-4k miles of usage.
There is another M2C user that got a UOA on the TPT 0w30.
It wasn't great and sheared out of range to 0w20 after about 4,000 mi., but was not catastrophic.
That said, I'm not too sure of their usage.
Short intervals are probably fine, but you can dump the Castrol and run 5w40 LL-01 every other change for a lot cheaper, and likely better protection, considering your location and usage.
FWIW the dealer should put the 5w40 LL-01 if you brought it to them, instead of the TPT.
Why risk it on such a valuable motor!

Attachments

• BMW TPT 0w30.jpg
    BMW TPT 0w30.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 66
To split hairs and continue in the BITOG fashion, the link off the Canadian site is here, published 5/25/2020 showing -40

Your is published 5/14/2020 (older) showing -45

I suspect that yours is a typo since all of the other values are identical, not that it matters that much!

Cheers
It is Pennzoil. They are known to list 0W20 numbers in 5W30 pds (or it was vice versa, can’t remember).

Back