Pennzoil Platinum at Walmart

I was in Walmart* the other day and noticed that 5 qt jug of PP(not PUP) was only ~$1 more than the "new" ST FS 20,000 oil. Which would be the better oil?

Last edited:
I was in Walmart* the other day and noticed that 5 qt jug of PP(not PUP) was only ~$1 more than the "new" ST FS 20,000 oil. Which would be the better oil?
Depends on how long you plan to have the oil in use ? Does the vehicle have a GDI engine ? If a GDI engine I would chose the Pennzoil Platinum for : Less VII's , lower NOACK , probably lower ash content and I would only be using for a 5,000 mile OCI . If the vehicle has a MPI engine the ST 20,000 mile oil and a good filter would be fine for say 7,500 to 10,000 miles (I would never run a 20,000 mile oil longer) .

ST is Dexos approved that pennzoil is not I would stay away from that oil
You must've seen an old bottle or formulation. The newer sn plus and sp PP are dexos approved as they cut back on the calcium and use more magnesium now which is the main feature of a dexos certification the lspi protection.

Are you sure you weren't looking at Pennzoil Full Synthetic (with the black label)? My walmart has it for $19.**

Pennzoil Platinum (with the silver label) at $18.** is a good deal, but I would favor Supertech if you're buying 5w-30 viscosity because PP 5w-30 starts out on the thin side of 5w-30.

Quaker State Full Synthetic is also very underrated for that price range.

Depends on how long you plan to have the oil in use ? Does the vehicle have a GDI engine ? If a GDI engine I would chose the Pennzoil Platinum for : Less VII's , lower NOACK , probably lower ash content and I would only be using for a 5,000 mile OCI . If the vehicle has a MPI engine the ST 20,000 mile oil and a good filter would be fine for say 7,500 to 10,000 miles (I would never run a 20,000 mile oil longer) .
Nope, no GDI, just regular port injection.
Are you sure you weren't looking at Pennzoil Full Synthetic (with the black label)? My walmart has it for $19.**

Pennzoil Platinum (with the silver label) at $18.** is a good deal, but I would favor Supertech if you're buying 5w-30 viscosity because PP 5w-30 starts out on the thin side of 5w-30.

I'll have to look again as you may be right. I though the yellow jug said Pennzoil Plat but, I only looked quickly while I was getting some ST Brake Clean($1.94/can). Kinda has me wondering if some customer put back the PP in the space of the PYB??? :unsure:

I've been using ST FS 0W20 in the 12 qt box for both the Alt & Civ in my sig. I've been real happy with both the product & price but am always looking 🤓 for a good score.

Last edited:

I agree ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quaker State full synthetic is a really good oil.

I’d consider buying QSFS before buying PP. I experience oil consumption with PP for whatever reason.

QS Full Syn(a.k.a. QSUD) was my go-to oil until WM made their Full Synthetic oils so reasonably priced thus, becoming my new go-to oil especially in the 12qt box. However, QS is always on my radar.

And yes, I went back to WM again to check that price of PP for $18.67 and it was actually the Pennzoil Synthetic which I have never seen before as someone had placed jugs of PP in that space.

If you're not doing a 15k + mile service interval, I'd say PP is the better option than Supertech FS 20k... for the same price.
PP at my local Walmart is $22.98/jug. ST FS 20k is $16.48/jug. A $6 difference. Are you saying at your local WM's that PP and ST FS 20k are the same price??

Back