Pennzoil Platinum "Active Cleaning Agents" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to buy my supply of Pennzoil Platinum just the other day and noticed that the oil now states that it contains active cleaning agents that removes 46% of your engine sludge in the first change. I am usually skeptical about these additives, even the cleaning ones. Can anyone give me any info about this new additive. Should I have any worries?

Any fully formulated oil is going to have some form of active cleaning agents. The PP may have more of these or better ones. That's my take on it.

If you look at VOA and UOA sheets of Pennzoil Platnium you will see it has A LOT more Calcium than many other oils.

Thanks for the replies. I went with the 10w-30 since it didn't list the cleaning agents even though it very well might have them. This is my first PP change. Always stuck with German Castrol but I can't get past walmart's 5 quart jug for $20 price. It's just too good to pass up

Ah OK. This brings up another question. If I am following a six month schedule and there is only 2000 miles or so on each fill am I not getting as much benefit from the cleaning agents as I would by leaving the fill in there for longer/more miles?

Yes I know I could do just fine with dino oil but this car is babied. Hence why I'm using the PP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Riptide
Ah OK. This brings up another question. If I am following a six month schedule and there is only 2000 miles or so on each fill am I not getting as much benefit from the cleaning agents as I would by leaving the fill in there for longer/more miles?

Yes I know I could do just fine with dino oil but this car is babied. Hence why I'm using the PP.

What's your reason for the 6 month change interval? If it's warranty, I understand, but unless that 2000 miles was done one mile and one very cold start at a time, the oil will last much longer than 6 months. In fact, I'm not so sure that age has nearly as much to do with it as operating conditions.

Various operating conditions as far as weather goes. Winter weather can be bad. A fill can sit there for a month at a time before the car is driven. The summer not so bad. Hot but the car is driven much more frequently. Hence why I have two changes a year. The winter fill goes in around November and then comes out around May or June.

His point in asking about how the car is driven is that short trips under 10 or 15 miles really take their toll on the oil in your sump, especially in the winter since the oil may not get up to operating temp to burn off contaminants such as condensate. With short trips the oil's additive pacakage gets used up rather quickly trying to neutralize the contamination that builds up in the oil, instead of those contaminants being boiled off and evaporated out of the PCV system when the engine warms up fully each trip.

I've never heard of anyone using "inactive" cleaning ingredients.

Or inactive marketing for that matter.

The "46%" pitch is a new twist, I must say.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Yeah me too, I have been using PP for a couple of years now and I think it is only getting about 43% of the sludge out of my brand new engine.....I'm thinking about getting my money back...
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: PT1
Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Yeah me too, I have been using PP for a couple of years now and I think it is only getting about 43% of the sludge out of my brand new engine.....I'm thinking about getting my money back...
crackmeup2.gif

LOL.gif
46% What is that, 9x better sludge removal over the next leading brand?

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
LOL.gif
46% What is that, 9x better sludge removal over the next leading brand?

Don't go there, JIMMY!!!
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back