Pennzoil Platinum 0W30 Euro LX vs PP 5W30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I noticed Canadian Tire is now carrying Pennzoil Platinum 0W30 Euro LX. It's the same price as normal Pennzoil Platinum and also rated for API SN.

I've been using PP 5W30 on my 4Runner with the 3.4L V6 for the last 5 years. Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch over to PP 0W30 with the euro formulation? I mostly want the cold flow properties of a 0Wxx for our cold Canadian winters. I also want to keep my oil stash consistent so would be running this in the summer too.

In general for any 5W30 application, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to switch over to this?

It's perfectly fine, with a couple of qualifiers. It probably won't meet the exact specifications the OEM is thinking of (i.e. SM/GF-4 or newer). It won't be ILSAC. That doesn't bother me. In certain circumstances, you'd also want to be careful to not go insanely long with the OCI, at least in comparison against an A5/B5 or E7, E9 lube. I'd use it without hesitation, and was considering it, and being lobbied to do so by CATERHAM. I'd consider it completely suitable for year round use. It does have elevated HTHS, by the way.

Originally Posted by nobb
So I noticed Canadian Tire is now carrying Pennzoil Platinum 0W30 Euro LX. It's the same price as normal Pennzoil Platinum and also rated for API SN.

I've been using PP 5W30 on my 4Runner with the 3.4L V6 for the last 5 years. Is there any reason why I shouldn't switch over to PP 0W30 with the euro formulation? I mostly want the cold flow properties of a 0Wxx for our cold Canadian winters. I also want to keep my oil stash consistent so would be running this in the summer too.

In general for any 5W30 application, is there any reason why you wouldn't want to switch over to this?

LX will be heavier at operating temperature. LX has HTHS of 3.5, and you might (might) see drop in mpg, and less enthusiastic rev build up.
On other hand, engine valvetrain might be quieter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back