Pennzoil Full Synthetic

Sorry for the double post about this oil but I did try asking my question in someone else’s thread. Not wanting to change the OPs concerns, I‘ll repeat my question here.

I bought this Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0W20 at Walmart for $19.88/5qt jug.
SuperTech Syn 10k miles is a bit more at $20/5qt jug and 20k miles is $26+ for their 5 qt jugs. 😲
These prices are in store, not online.

So, what oils does this Pennzoil FS compare to?…in terms of its quality & add pkg.
I can’t find much and the Pennzoil website is vague.

SuperTech FS 10,000 mile?
CarQuest FS @AAP?…Now they’re using FRAM lubes.
KIRKLAND FS?
Amazon FS?
?????

CB

Sorry for the double post about this oil but I did try asking my question in someone else’s thread. Not wanting to change the OPs concerns, I‘ll repeat my question here.

I bought this Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0W20 at Walmart for $19.88/5qt jug.
SuperTech Syn 10k miles is a bit more at $20/5qt jug and 20k miles is $26+ for their 5 qt jugs. 😲
These prices are in store, not online.

So, what oils does this Pennzoil FS compare to?…in terms of its quality & add pkg.
I can’t find much and the Pennzoil website is vague.

SuperTech FS 10,000 mile?
CarQuest FS @AAP?…Now they’re using FRAM lubes.
KIRKLAND FS?
Amazon FS?
?????

CB

This is comparable to the economy Mobil Full Synthetic line (previous mobil super syn), Castrol Magnatec/GTX full syn lines, and regular ST syn.

It is the "lower tier" full synthetic offering to compete with store brand labels and because conventionals and synblends are becoming more obsolete.

This graphic should help.
1643305148703.jpg

Last edited:
So does Post #3 mean that it is hydro cracked mineral oil to a level they call synthetic?

This is comparable to the economy Mobil Full Synthetic line (previous mobil super syn), Castrol Magnatec/GTX full syn lines, and regular ST syn.

It is the "lower tier" full synthetic offering to compete with store brand labels and because conventionals and synblends are becoming more obsolete.

This graphic should help.
View attachment 86335
Interesting chart. Based on this, I still think I'd feel OK about running Castrol GTX, Pennzoil FS, and ST ST 10k for 6 or 12 month intervals at 2 to 5k miles. "Extreme temperatures" shouldn't apply to me if my cooling system works as it should. And "better fuel economy" wouldn't amount to a hill of beans, IMHO. I get 50 MPGs around town in the summer on ST FS or NAPA FS 0w20. A more expensive oil isn't going to offer any appreciable increase in MPGs. So those 2 claims are not worth paying $5 more for on 5 quart bottle.

Back