Pennzoil Full Synthetic

Went to change the oil in the wife's oil burning Equinox 2.4 since the OLM went off, although I changed it about 3000 miles ago with plain old Pennzoil yellow bottle after a BG EPR treatment. The BG EPR did cut way down on the consumption, thankfully. Was surprised that what I thought was Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional now says "Full Synthetic". Curiously, it does not mention Dexos. So, even though I didn't spend the extra $ to get Platinum with the Dexos approval, is it plausible this "Full Synthetic" is probably OK for the 4-5,000 mile intervals that the OLM seems to favor?

I would use a conventional........ in an oil burner. Try a different brand every time you change the oil to see... what one burns less.

Yes. When I called Shell to ask about this new label, the Tech explained it is serviceable for however long your manufacturer's interval calls for in non-severe usage.

Screenshot_20210606-160219_Chrome.jpg

Most likely they don't want to pay for the dexos licensing but I'm sure it's a fine oil. Their yellow bottle is highly regarded on here especially with the small engine crowd.

Went to change the oil in the wife's oil burning Equinox 2.4 since the OLM went off, although I changed it about 3000 miles ago with plain old Pennzoil yellow bottle after a BG EPR treatment. The BG EPR did cut way down on the consumption, thankfully. Was surprised that what I thought was Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional now says "Full Synthetic". Curiously, it does not mention Dexos. So, even though I didn't spend the extra $ to get Platinum with the Dexos approval, is it plausible this "Full Synthetic" is probably OK for te 4-5,000 mile intervals that the OLM seems to favor

Most likely they don't want to pay for the dexos licensing but I'm sure it's a fine oil. Their yellow bottle is highly regarded on here especially with the small engine crowd.
deliberate upsell

SOPUS is the mercedes benz of oil, they make 100 variants of the same thing

I would use a conventional........ in an oil burner. Try a different brand every time you change the oil to see... what one burns less.
If he wants Dexos he needs at least a semi synthetic-no conventional has approval. I would use Supertech Syn. from Walmart.

If he wants Dexos he needs at least a semi synthetic-no conventional has approval. I would use Supertech Syn. from Walmart.

+1

There is no cost savings in choosing a non-dexos 5W30 over a full synthetic dexos licensed oil, especially at Wallyworld. dexos Supertech full syn is $16 for a 5qt jug. dexos Quaker State full syn is $19 for a 5qt jug. The Pennzoil non-dexos full syn is $20(!).

Supertech oil and a $3 Supertech cartridge oil filter for the 2.4L engine (rated for 10,000 miles) will get you out the door for $20. If you feel better using a name brand oil, get the QS and it is still only $23.

Reactions: CKN
Went to change the oil in the wife's oil burning Equinox 2.4 since the OLM went off, although I changed it about 3000 miles ago with plain old Pennzoil yellow bottle after a BG EPR treatment. The BG EPR did cut way down on the consumption, thankfully. Was surprised that what I thought was Pennzoil yellow bottle conventional now says "Full Synthetic". Curiously, it does not mention Dexos. So, even though I didn't spend the extra $ to get Platinum with the Dexos approval, is it plausible this "Full Synthetic" is probably OK for the 4-5,000 mile intervals that the OLM seems to favor?
This Full Synthetic is not what is referred to here as "yellow bottle". This is a newer offering that is a traditional synthetic as opposed to their Natural Gas formulations. They call it an entry level synthetic. Pennzoil Yellow bottle is still available and is now shown as a synthetic blend instead of conventional. I just finished using the Full Synthetic. I liked it. I had less consumption than I do when using Pennzoil Platinum. However, when they call it an entry level synthetic with a lower level add pack, that turns me off a bit. I feel like I could be buying something better. I know it's all just marketing but sometimes I fall for it. So, I put in Castrol Edge this time because Castrol says Edge is their best all! PT Barnum would be so proud!

This Full Synthetic is not what is referred to here as "yellow bottle". This is a newer offering that is a traditional synthetic as opposed to their Natural Gas formulations. They call it an entry level synthetic. Pennzoil Yellow bottle is still available and is now shown as a synthetic blend instead of conventional. I just finished using the Full Synthetic. I liked it. I had less consumption than I do when using Pennzoil Platinum. However, when they call it an entry level synthetic with a lower level add pack, that turns me off a bit. I feel like I could be buying something better. I know it's all just marketing but sometimes I fall for it. So, I put in Castrol Edge this time because Castrol says Edge is their best all! PT Barnum would be so proud!
It's a little confusing, Walmart stopped carrying PYB and in it's place they now have Pennzoil Full Synthetic, I could see how someone would believe it's meant to replace PYB.

It's a little confusing, Walmart stopped carrying PYB and in it's place they now have Pennzoil Full Synthetic, I could see how someone would believe it's meant to replace PYB.
Not just Walmart but Tractor Supply too, I noticed they totally changed what's on the shelves and last few times I checked there was no sae30w oil that I use for the mower in their automotive section. They did have Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol but they phased the other two out and just offered the Pennzoil.

Rehatching this thread as not to create a new one.
I bought this Pennzoil Full Synthetic 0W20 at Walmart foe $19.88/5qt jug.
SuperTech Syn 10k miles is a bit more and 20k miles is $26+ for their 5 qt jugs. 😮

So, what oils does this Pennzoil FS compare to?…in terms of its quality & add pkg.
I can’t find much and the Pennzoil website is vague.

SuperTech FS 10,000 mile
CarQuest FS @AAP…Now they’re using FRAM lubes.
KIRKLAND FS
Amazon FS
?????

Last edited:
^^^Yeah, I wasn’t planning on buying Pennzoil FS as I was in WM for something else completely. I thought I’d check the auto section just because. And I went home with a bunch more stuff than I went in for. 😗

Oil burner that you’re changing out every 3k? Supertech or any other low priced high mileage oil, IMO

Back