Pennzoil dino 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what kind of vehicle, what kind of miles on it, winter/summer driving, driving style/normal distance...I could go on but I think you get the point. Then, what brand of syn are you going to compare it to in this 3K OCI?
There are a few instances that it my not stand up as well as a syn even with a 3K OCI.
With that said it's still a highly rated oil here and I have no problem recommending it to my friends, most of the time 5K OCI. (seeing that I know what their driving styles are ect...).

its not synthetic how can you compare it to synpower? IMO i'd run it 5k MAX

I ran it 4000 miles in my old Saturn S last summer.
It "healed up" an external leak and had some of the lowest oil consumption of any I've used.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
7k miles is easy for this oil.

I have asked this before and everyone says not to go over 5k on dino!!!

I am wanting it to go 6k but it will be 75% city driving and sometimes even short trips so they said Platinum must be used for this???

As good as YB apparently is, I won't use a 5-20 unless its a synthetic. I am still following Hondas spec, but it unnerves me to use any 5-20 in our 90+ degree heat (for months on end) here in Texas. I am HOPING the PP syn 5-20 will hold up better than YB 5-20... Just hedging my bets...

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
7k miles is easy for this oil.

I have asked this before and everyone says not to go over 5k on dino!!!

I am wanting it to go 6k but it will be 75% city driving and sometimes even short trips so they said Platinum must be used for this???

I personally would only go 5000 miles on conventional oil especially since you are doing 75% city driving.

My Hyundai Sonata is suppose to use 5w20 year round, I am in NY it does not get any where near as hot as TX- I will either use 5w30 or 10w30 dino during summer months with no problems. Now 5w20 is a highly popular weight, starting my next oil change this June the car is getting 5w30 year round.

I use what the car calls for. With that in mind since my cars are driven under "severe service" I follow the severe service schedule. Dino oil should hold up well for 5000 miles, and as mentioned before, and possibly longer with a UOA.

I would LOVE to switch to a 5-30 for the heat, but I am concerned about warranty issues. I called both the Honda dealer, and Honda customer service, and asked about this. Predictably, I didn't get a straight answer. All I got was a generic (useless) response of "5-20 is what is called for in your vehicle". Ugh.

Last edited:
What are the people who fear 5w-20 going to do, when 0w-10 is going to be the new standard in the next few years.
21.gif

My Toyota also calls for 5w20 or 0w20. The Toyota dealership said Toyota gave the go ahead to run 5w30, but recommended that I wait till I hit the 5000 mile mark on my vehicle. I run 5w30 synthetic now

Did they give you the typical [censored] about other weight oil having an issue on Vtec operation. I think its [censored] because Honda used to use 5w30 even in the beloved 98-00 Si which was a Vtec beast.

Service manual says in an emergency 10w30 can be used- then changed at nearest Service station. Why are they leaping up from 5w20 to 10w30 what happend to 5w30. Its all [censored] I went all of last summer on 10w30 Wolfshead with no issue, the use of 5w20 is to squeeze out better mileage. Which again is pointless because auto manufactures roller dyno the vehicles.

Originally Posted By: breeves
Will this oil hold up as good as synthetic with 3000 mile oil changes?

No problem, I'd say 5000 miles would be the limit I would run it w/o a UOA. With UOA possibly longer.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back