Penn Dexron III analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
97 Saturn SL-1 automatic transmission. The manufactures calls for a partial change every 40k with a spin on filter change. This oil was Penn Dexron III.

miles on vehicle 135,000
miles on oil 35,000
Saturn spin-on filter changed at every oil change.

code:

copper 2

iron 9

chromium 0

aluminum 1

lead 0

moly 1

phosphorus 311

zinc 32

magnesium 7

calcium 100

silicon 4

vis 5.02

SAE 10w

sulfur 43

Comments?

WOW! Although ATF sheared down quite a bit this analysis seems to good to be true! 35k miles on mineral Penn. - I say very good. There was an analysis on Pennzoil DIII posted in UOA section by VaderSS. I think he also vent 35k miles, but your results are very good compared to his. What's the value for Boron?

Regards,

His engine is probably not overloading his transmission the way mine is, and he's probably not driving the car as agressively as mine is driven, plus, I have a hellacious commuter circuit here in Houston.

Pretty good results. I wonder how much can be credited to your changing the spin on ATF filter at every oil change and adding a little make up oil at that time.

You make we want to retrofit such a filter arrangment on our automatic transmission equipped vehicles!

John

For the last year this has been very low usage vehicle. I much prefer my VW TDI. My wifes uses the Saturn to make town runs several times a week. 40 miles round trip with multiple stops.
Totals around 7000 miles a year.

This is proving destructive to the motor oil but apparently not to the ATF. Looks like I can extend the 40k change interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back