PCV valve grommet

Hey guys, there is some light oil staining around the PCV valve grommet in my Accord. I changed the PCV valve several years ago but didn't touch the grommet. I know the rubber grommet gets hard/cracks over time. It's simple enough to change but I've heard the old grommet can break apart during replacement and fall into the engine. Other than the staining, the oil loss right now is insignificant.

Therefore, is there any reason for me to mess with the grommet? Can a brittle grommet make a poor seal with the PCV valve and cause a vacuum leak?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Is there any other maintenance you can knock out at the same time? Leaking valve cover gasket? Do valves need to be adjusted?

Something you could do, is try to take it out with a shop vac hose running right over top of it. Should be able to suck the pieces off as they break. (if they break).

If it's the F23, the valve cover is super simple to remove if you drop something down there.

You need to replace the leaking grommet. Replace the PCV valve with an OEM one as well if it is cheap. Use a pair of pliers to pull the grommet off. The worst-case scenario: If something falls in, you also remove the valve-cover and install a new valve-cover gasket. I doubt anything will fall in though. In the unlikelihood of breaking, it will be two pieces and they will be too big to fall through the hole.

Last edited:
It helps to use a skinny knife to cut the old grommet into smaller sections that can be pulled out if it has hardened. Usually any engine with a grommet PCV valve will have a baffle plate under it to catch anything that falls down. If you have good access, you can later pick out the bits with skinny pliers.

It really confuses me as to why any engineer ever thought a rubber grommet type system would be superior in any way to just making it a screw-in setup like a spark plug. It's not like it has to deal with extreme pressures anyway.

Use a small screwdriver and pop it out. The ones I changed turned soft on the underside not hard. A leaky grommet reduces the effectiveness of the PCV system.OEM ones last longer than aftermarket ones from the "HELP" rack. Myself, I just use the aftermarket ones and change them out every 2-3 years. I think you are worrying over nothing.

I had some oil leakage around my PCV Grommet.
The old (OEM) Grommet was very soft and oil soaked.
I replaced it with a Dorman and all is well / so far.

Hey guys, there is some light oil staining around the PCV valve grommet in my Accord. I changed the PCV valve several years ago but didn't touch the grommet. I know the rubber grommet gets hard/cracks over time. It's simple enough to change but I've heard the old grommet can break apart during replacement and fall into the engine. Other than the staining, the oil loss right now is insignificant.

Therefore, is there any reason for me to mess with the grommet? Can a brittle grommet make a poor seal with the PCV valve and cause a vacuum leak?
Always replace an old or leaking PCV grommet, it can allow dirt to be brought into the crankcase that can cause addition engine wear.
A quality air filter with a properly sealed ar box and plumbing and tighly sealed PCV system is a must for minimizing particles even micron sized engine wearing particles from getting into the oil. The oil filter attempts to catch the horse after it got out of the barn.

Back