PCLinuxOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to try PCLinuxOS 2007 and see how it stacked up against Ubuntu 7.10. Both versions are aimed at the desktop user.

Ubuntu found all my hardware when I installed it. PCLinux install was straight forward and it only took a few minutes to setup my printer and scanner. etc.

I am a Gnome user and unlike most folks do not care for a lot of bells and whistles just want a good working desktop.

I installed the Gnome version of PCLinuxOS and upon reboot it came up with the KDE desktop. Another reboot and checking while doing it, set it to use Gnome as default and that did the trick.

Saved my Home Folders, Firefox booxmarks, Thunderbird Emails on a CD and did a clean install. Process of setting up from start to finish took about 30 minutes or so + the tweaking of Firefox and Thunderbird for speed increase took just a few minutes.

Ubuntu has more community involvement, Automatix, Envy, etc,. for setup of video cards, etc., but found an article on the PCLinuxOS web site regarding installation of vido cards and have an ATI Video card. Took only a few minuts and had it working as it should at 1680X1050.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back