PC World: "15 reasons to switch to Vista"

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,128656-page,1/article.html

Windows Vista is almost here. To anyone who has been sitting on the fence over whether to upgrade to Microsoft's new operating system, I'll say it loud and clear: It's time to make the jump. There are plenty of reasons to leave Windows XP and install Vista, and below are my top 15 favorites.

1. Vista Transformation Pack 6.0 provides this to XP computers for free.

2. OK. This is nice, but worth the upgrade headache?

3. Vista Transformation Pack 6.0 provides this to XP computers for free.

4. Sounds like a cool feature!

5. Unnecessary.

6. Better security? Only time will tell. Every version of Windows has had better security, or so Microsoft has said.

7. Copernic search is free and highly rated. Excellent search capabilities, quite flexible!

8. Vista Transformation Pack 6.0 provides this to XP computers for free.

9. If it's truly "better", it's a welcome thing.

10. Yawn.

11. OK. Worth $100?

12. The current version of MM is quite mediocre. I can't see the new 'free' version in Vista being all that much better.

13. This looks quite welcome...making life with notebooks easier.

14. Windows 2000 'key' features included the offline files thingy. They touted it for ever it seemed. Is this a micro version of this old concept?

15. Firefox.

So, there you have it. Well worth the $499 for Vista Business Ultimate.

For a company as big as Microsoft - Vista is a big disappointment to me. After so many years of programming - this is all that they come up with? I've read many reviews on Vista and I don't plan on using it. I use my computer to use the hardware (video card, sound, processing power). I don't use my computer so an Operating System can severly handicap my computer.

I've been using Windows since I was 5 years old (Windows 3.11). I taught myself everything to the point where my school made me head tech and I spent an entire semester fixing computers and helping teachers use or understand windows. So I see myself as an "expert" windows user.

Several of my friends with the same level of computer/windows understanding have left for MAC and Linux. After seeing their computers and their operating systems - I'm tempted to do the same. Windows just isn't worth it anymore to me. I'll be keeping XP for as long as possible. Sad how most of the games (Eve Online, Call of Duty) are Windows only...

i also consider myself a computer expert, microsoft has the best OS, the only reason it has the most security flaws are because most hackers only attack microsoft windows because it is a mainstream product, linux and mac suck, they probably have 8x the flaws, but the thing is no one pays attention to the flaws of linux and mac because hackers are interested in affecting 98% of the population not the 2%

Quote:

i also consider myself a computer expert... linux and mac suck...

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

Most (but not all) reviews and recommendations I read in mainstream computer-related magazines are looked upon in an askance-like manner here in the shanty.

It is this Coot's (should trademark that) opinion that, too too often, that content is slanted so as not to offend those magazine's main revenue source; their advertisers. And Micro$oft is a BIG advertiser.

Exceptions exist but not all that many from a Cootish viewpoint.

Software is like a box of chocolates.......

once open you can seldom return them.

Quote:

Quote:

i also consider myself a computer expert... linux and mac suck...

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

thumbsup.gif

This reminds me of my brother. He insists that Windows is the best thing on the face of the Earth. Basically, he is a rabid fan who got brainwashed while maintaining NT based networks.

He reinstalls Windows on his laptops almost every four weeks. He argues that an OS has to be reinstalled regularly because 'all kinds of #@$%! goes wrong during usage', and the computer becomes sluggish if not refreshed periodically.
laugh.gif

Quote:

no one pays attention to the flaws of linux and mac because hackers are interested in affecting 98% of the population not the 2%

There are people who do pay attention to Unix (not just Linux) flaws and scan for vulnerable machines, with the hopes of compromising them so as to set up FTP servers for "warez", run EggDrop bots, do more portscanning, etc.

Quote:

i also consider myself a computer expert, microsoft has the best OS

Well, you lose credibility in many people's minds. Plenty of people on BITOG, myself included, who have decades of industry experience and support distributed user communities of 1000's. Very few core services at the sites I support are running on Windows and it is not even considered; Most internet facing machines for mail relay, DNS, web, VPN are unix/linux based machines.

Most of the time "linux sucking" refers to a person's inability to use it effectively, that is not the OS's fault. There are a myriad of linux admins at my workplace using and implementing linux solutions daily.

-T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back