PC not charging

Status
Not open for further replies.
cheers3.gif
I hope you get it sorted.

I will follow up after Monday's appointment at the store or sooner if I get it going .

I had the computer looked at last night and the tech said that the input jack (on the laptop) was damaged and the charger plug was not seating correctly. I left it there and they said that they will send it out to have it repaired .

I got that impression as well but they said that it was covered and they would call me when it is ready .

Originally Posted by sleepery
I got that impression as well but they said that it was covered and they would call me when it is ready .

Well, best of luck.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Likely just needs a touch with a soldering iron, surprised they had to send it out for that
21.gif

Almost nobody does board level repairs.

Especially under warranty. It's going to come back with a new system board.

I will attempt this and have done it with charging ports in the past and other simple to fix things. Some of the pins on various IC's are so thin and closely spaced together it can make it really difficult to remove/replace without fusing the legs together. I wouldn't do these.

I fixed a broken piece on my MacBook pro motherboard and it went on to live for 6 years after that. The mainboard at that time was $700 and that wasn't going to happen.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Subdued
Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Likely just needs a touch with a soldering iron, surprised they had to send it out for that
21.gif

Almost nobody does board level repairs.

Especially under warranty. It's going to come back with a new system board.

Well, it's a Best Buy extended warranty was my impression from the thread, and he wasn't sure it was covered. I do board level repairs regularly on gear that's out of warranty. Covered? Yeah, don't bugger with it.

I got the laptop back earlier this week from Geek Squad at Best Buy The receipt repair comments said that the motherboard was replaced and fixed the issue . Their part cost was $23.46 for a " Recertified RCM Motherboard "
No cost to me but when I received an email stating it was finished I went to the store to get it but was told that I had to come back another day because I did not make an appointment to pick it up (even though it was sitting there ready to go ?) .

Glad you got it sorted... Gotta love that kind of nonsense when you go to pick-up something. Someone in higher management at Best Buy needs to learn of that experience.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Glad you got it sorted... Gotta love that kind of nonsense when you go to pick-up something. Someone in higher management at Best Buy needs to learn of that experience.
wink.gif

Yeah exactly, that kind of treatment is unacceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back