Patching a divot in a concrete wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My basement shop has poured concrete walls. I was looking to put up a wood strip to affix some additional structure to, but in one spot was an old masonry nail (looks like blacksmith nails) that was sticking out a bit. Of course it was in the way of the spot where I wanted to put the strip.

I tried to pull the nail, and used a prying tool that gave me some good leverage. The nail came out, but it pulled some of the concrete with it.

The hole is between a half and silver dollar size at the surface. At the bottom, maybe 1" in, is about the diameter of an old silver half dime (envision half the size of a dime).

Everything I'm reading says that to fix concrete, the bottom should be chiseled out to be wider than the hole at the top, so that the patch is held in mechanically. There seems to be a lot of suggestion not to just fill concrete with a patch just to smooth the surface.

I'm sort of overthinking this, as the spot is actually going to be behind where the wood is put up. But I'd rather do it if $10 in materials gives peace of mind...

So I'm guessing hydraulic cement and chisel it out wider at the bottom?

Thanks!!

How about a good high quality epoxy? Maybe something like the old "Durham’s rock hard water putty?" If that’s in a humid environment it needs to be painted so it doesn’t absorb moisture. But there are many other choices available.

There are quick concrete patchers in $4-$6 tubes. Quickcrete vinyl concrete repair patcher would work fine. You could also just get a handful of portland cement, mix with sand (2 parts sand, 1 part portland), add water, and patch. Even a bag of portland cement is only $4-$10. There are lots of concrete vinyl sealers in tubes or cans out there. I don't see any need to make the bottom of the hole as wide as the top. Just work the repair cement all the way into the hole. If you use a concrete mix/portland, ensure you wet the entire inner surface and the outer lips before patching to establish a proper bond. Putting the patch on dry may cause it to fail eventually. Concrete mixes bond best when the surface is wet.

There are a lot of options, but it depends upon what is available locally. Since it's on a vertical surface you'll want to find a product that resists slumping. Your local hardware store would be the best place to ask the question since they should have the products you'll be using.

I touched-up some spots like that on my basement walls 25 years ago.

What I did was:
Vacuumed and used a tube of Caulk (paintable kind)
I then painted with UGL Drylok Masonry Paint.
Never a problem.

The 'nail' that you removed was a Concrete Nail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back