Paste/Liquid wax vs. Spray wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
The argument made for traditional wax over spray wax generally boils down to a spray wax has less durability when compared to traditional wax. Spray wax does work, this is generally not disputed. What is disputed is for how long they work. People seem to underestimate spray wax and over estimate traditional wax. This is what I have been noticing anyway.

I think that a traditional wax applied every 2-3 months is the same as a spray wax being applied with a weekly or bi-weekly wash routine with the added bonus of being a lot less work.

What are your thoughts?

The thing about spray wax is convenience and speed. If it protects the paint but takes twice as many applications to equal paste wax but you don't mind that.... Then it does protect as well as paste wax!

There's a lot to be said for waxing your car every time you wash it , and if it adds only 20 more minutes to the job, what the hey....

Traditional wax applied 3-4 times a year sure beats spray waxing every two weeks.
I try to keep contact on the paint to a minimum to prevent swirls. I wax three times a year, with two layers of collinite 845 each time I wax.
Water still beads well into the 4th month and all I have to do is rinse off the car with a hose if it gets a little dirty.

Last edited:
optimum opti-coat is a spray type product that promises incredible durability, but usually spray waxes are weak in the durability area.

I've been told that washing generally removes a lot of protection from the paint, so the idea of using a spray wax at each wash makes perfect sense. I try to apply spray wax at every wash and do a clay/full sealant application every 4-6 weeks.

However, my clear bra gets a coat of xpel ppf sealant at every wash, period, to prevent staining. Unfortunately that stuff is applied via the traditional method.

I think spray wax iss an easy way to add protection in between actual waxes...I.E wax car 2-3 times a year and then spray wax every other wash to add protection to it

Originally Posted By: The Critic
optimum opti-coat is a spray type product that promises incredible durability, but usually spray waxes are weak in the durability area.

I've been told that washing generally removes a lot of protection from the paint, so the idea of using a spray wax at each wash makes perfect sense.

This is generally what I was thinking. I think that traditional wax being able to provide protection for 6 months to a year is plain silly. I am more inclined to think that 3 months for a traditional wax at the absolute longest interval. No data/evidence just a hunch/belief.

Think of all the water and rubbing that occurs with weekly/bi-weekly washes, the occasional shower, and possible snow that a vehicle will see in those three months. I do not see how a wax can last that long.

Washing is THE most important part of the protection process but for those that seek a little extra I'm thinking that spray waxes at each wash is the way to go. As one of the previous posters said, you'll add roughly 20 minutes, if that. I'm beginning to think it is time well spent over the hour or two of a complete waxing procedure.

Just my .02
49.gif

Edit: I'll have to look into the Optimum product. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:
I got lazy this past year with waxing cars. My Jeep is garaged when not in use, and lately we've only been using it twice a week at night, so it sees very little sunlight. I waxed it over the weekend, it was almost 1 year to the day since it was last waxed [shame on me!]. The Collinite 845 was beading water the same as it was when I waxed it last year. Honestly it really didn't need to be waxed. OTOH a vehicle that sits outside would need wax at least 3-4 times a year.

I'll get 2 good coats of 845 on my van before the cold weather sets in, that should get me through until a warm winter day when I can wax it again. I think the spray waxes are only good going over a good coat of wax and offer very little in terms of protection.

The big distinction is some spray on/wipe off products say "wax" yet contain none and others actually contain carnauba wax. You have to do some serious homework to find out which ones contain it and which do not. Some with wax in the name have none but are actually good sealants. I posted this elsewhere here but I'll put it up again.....Aquawax by Duragloss is a sealant, no wax. Optimum Spray Wax contains carnauba, it IS a wax combined with synthetics and can last up to five months. Meguiar's Quik Wax is a sealant, no wax. See what I mean? If you actually want wax then you must do some snooping and phone calls.

Traditional paste wax can last up to four weeks whereas the hybrids like Collinite can go six months or more. Although it does indeed contain carnauba Collinite is for all practical purposes a sealant. If you are using an off the shelf wax every two to three months you are fooling yourself.....it is long gone by the time you reapply it. Use Collinite or any of the other durable sealants like Duragloss #105 if you plan to "wax" every few months. They will hold up. Would I use a spray wax or spray sealant in between times? You betcha, did so today as a matter of fact.

So is the general consensus that spray wax is only good as a booster product not as a stand alone product?

Optimum Spray Wax claims to be a stand alone product and says it lasts longer than over the counter waxes. I use it but have never put it to that durability test. All Optimum products are of the premium variety so I have little doubt it would hold up as a stand alone product. For how long would be the question......lots of variables involved.

Originally Posted By: RamFan
So is the general consensus that spray wax is only good as a booster product not as a stand alone product?

Not any more with the latest products coming out.

I have gone to Meg's Ultimate Spray wax exclusively this year on both the Nitro & Jetta. I generally re-waxed every two weeks cause I like doing it and they look great and it is very quick.

I did have a 4 week span that I did not re-apply the spray wax and it was holding up as well as the day I first put it on. I would easily go 6 weeks or more if I need to.

I actually spray waxed the Civic yesterday after a nice hand wash with some Gold Class wash. I used a bottle of Turtle Wax Express Shine that I got as a gift in a goody bag. It produced some pretty good results! It was quick and easy and for a leased car that I am dumping in a couple years, it'll do until the next time I feel like it breaking it out again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back