Passing Emissions Inspection with MIL On

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just know that in CA, you cannot pass if you have a CEL on. In addition, like the others have mentioned, if you reset the entire system you'll run into other issues as well.

Therefore, your only choice is to fix the car properly.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I just know that in CA, you cannot pass if you have a CEL on. In addition, like the others have mentioned, if you reset the entire system you'll run into other issues as well.

Therefore, your only choice is to fix the car properly.

+1. the tech cant even lie on the manual entry portion. it automatically pulls codes and checks monitor readiness immediately after the tailpipe portion of the test.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Laugh away
LOL.gif
I didn't see (though it surely could have been there) what the code was (as in meaning) and I didn't bother to look it up.

..but..as I said in my laughable post, the EVAP PURGE protocol may not occur if the tank is full or close to empty.

No MIL/CEL ...badge.

cheers3.gif

I didn't mean to laugh at anyone specifically, just the phenomenon of people jumping straight to a leak with any EVAP problem at all, even when it has nothing to do with a leak. I did have to look up the exact definition, but to be fair, I spent a while troubleshooting a P0446 on a Yukon a while back, so I knew right away it wasn't a leak problem. As I said, I don't know Toyota's setup, but in that case, it was a clogged vent canister that was so bad, it backed up and clogged some of the lines.
frown.gif
Some GM engineer should be fired for putting the canister on top of the rear axle on a vehicle very probably would see time on gravel/dirt roads.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
A 1997 vehicle would be OBD II, so just unhooking the battery won't erase codes

It probably will erase the codes, but create a P0000 code which means "readyness tests not complete" so they'll fail it for that reason.

A cap can seal intermittently, or otherwise be faulty.
Hearing hissing is a good thing, but is not conclusive, only a partial test.
No need for laughter.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A cap can seal intermittently, or otherwise be faulty.
Hearing hissing is a good thing, but is not conclusive, only a partial test.
No need for laughter.

+1

The cap test is just an opportunity for dishonest mechanics to sell you a new cap. They tell you the cap fails and you can buy one right now for an inflated price or fail the smog test. If your cap is bad you should get a check engine light.

The smog place I go to will put petroleum jelly or something similar on the gas cap seal if it fails. If it fails again, then he will also test the new cap that he sells for $10.

Originally Posted By: Scimmia
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Laugh away
LOL.gif
I didn't see (though it surely could have been there) what the code was (as in meaning) and I didn't bother to look it up.

..but..as I said in my laughable post, the EVAP PURGE protocol may not occur if the tank is full or close to empty.

No MIL/CEL ...badge.

cheers3.gif

I didn't mean to laugh at anyone specifically, just the phenomenon of people jumping straight to a leak with any EVAP problem at all, even when it has nothing to do with a leak. I did have to look up the exact definition, but to be fair, I spent a while troubleshooting a P0446 on a Yukon a while back, so I knew right away it wasn't a leak problem. As I said, I don't know Toyota's setup, but in that case, it was a clogged vent canister that was so bad, it backed up and clogged some of the lines.
frown.gif
Some GM engineer should be fired for putting the canister on top of the rear axle on a vehicle very probably would see time on gravel/dirt roads.

Well ...you can wonder if there's Pb in the water at times. Lots of possible reasons in the Too Much Information Age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back