Parts markup by mech

That's how it has always worked here - we get a trade discount, and retail is on the docket. We can fiddle then if we want, up or down, but normally just stick to recommended retail.

Yep... My lady and I paid $299 on a $149 alternator...

I also believe it is a input to off set come backs for bad parts... Aske me how I know that ? Had a hoopty alternator fail after 11 miles. Championship material there.
That's exactly correct. Every once in a while they have to eat a job they did. By doubling the cost on parts, and occasionally over billing on the hourly rate, they have insurance, or as some call it money in the bank to cover a do over. That's business.

Here's my solution to that: Do your own work and buy your own parts.

Source: parts distributor and mechanic
First of all I don't have the knowledge and even if I came here and asked for help I don't have the garage, tools or back to do my own repairs so while that is good advice it just doesn't work for everyone. One thing my mech knows about me is I always want lifetime parts if possible so if the part goes bad I only have to pay the labor.

If you're paying a shop to do work, and you feel the final price was fair, done right, and in a timely manner, don't play detective later.

I think the term used now is "it's OE quality". :)

Not trying to give you a hard time here Hall... Honestly not my intent here. That was just very annoying and not the best way to handle things in my opinion.

I say No....

It's garbage...

How about??

Ahh say let's get a far BETTER part to begin with...

Or at minimum.... Give me the CHOICE...

To go hoopty welfare genero part... And pay that double cost.

Or ...

I'd rather pay $30-90 more for a legit better part. Aka a denso alternator.

That's..... Smart business.

And.... Better business.

Business has to have margin... No doubt. Taxes, rent, paying people, insurance etc etc etc all are a part of that venture.

I certainly understand that. I understand that if the "book" says a job takes 3.5 hours but in reality can take only 1.5... I am ok with that. That's margin. And businesses need that in order to take care of many, many costs. That.... Makes sense.

I have no issue with that. None.

However.... I don't like or want or need welfare parts that are garbage... And leave me walking after 11 miles.

I am more than willing to pay up for a legit better part just to avoid that. Call me crazy... But that's just me.

Reason why I don't go to that fella anymore. And I know other people has well that have stopped going there.

And.... People I go to typically...

Don't do non intelligent things like that.

They ask about parts selection and handle their business differently...

Thus why they are still in business and doing pretty good after 19+ years.

Last edited:
True indeed Hall...

To be fair... I don't believe that the owner is/was a bad guy.

Not at all.

It's just I would rather it be handled differently.

And if I paid the extra $30-90 for a better part... If that went bad... I would have no problem paying the labor rate to puy the new replacement one on.

I would understand that.

I just like having a option of how that could be done. Double the price for a welfare part plus labor... Or pay $30-90 more for a better part ( not double ) plus labor.

Math wise it could go either way depending upon part cost.

I kind of look at this circumstance like one I had happen routinely at the hospital...

A patient is due for pain medication after my shift and during shirt change/ giving report to the next shift time. A 30-40 minute period of time there by the way...

Do I say... Not my time... Not my responsibility? Next shifts responsible for that ?

Or do I take that time to do that because A) I don't know how long the next shift will be in getting that patient their scheduled pain medication
B) It's just makes things far better for the patient due to having their medication given on time and helping manage their pain level much better.
C) It also helps the next shift person by making their shift much better because when they see that person... That patient will have their pain under control and much happier.
D) It also helps the next shift because then... They can see their patients in the real PROPER order which increases patient safety has a whole.
E) It is just the right thing to do. And how I or my own family members I would want to be thought of and treated like.

At a bare minimum...

I would go to the patient and ask them how they were feeling and how their pain level was. I would give them a option.

Options are a good thing at times.

And yes... This happens a lot. So this is something for everyone to be mindful of while they are in the hospital.

The other way I see it is, if I can't do the work and take it to a shop, I don't have any say in what they charge. If I feel it was excessive, I just don't go back.
More states require shops to provide a written estimate before starting work so you know ahead of time how much it will cost.

More states require shops to provide a written estimate before starting work so you know ahead of time how much it will cost.
Well, yeah.... I mean, you get an estimate, approve the work, then 2nd guess them isn't cool. It's when someone gets the car home, pokes around and sees what part was installed, looks up the price on RockAuto, then complains they were overcharged.

I wondering how this works as far as the amount of markup on different priced parts. I went thru some of my statements from my mech, he is really good about part numbers and even where it comes from, aap, napa etc... so it's easy to look up the price online and figure out the percentage but it's not always the same percent plus it's not the same for parts in similar price ranges.

How old are these Invoices/Repair Orders? A part's cost can change at any time

How old are these Invoices/Repair Orders? A part's cost can change at any time
One was just a couple weeks ago and the other one was last fall, but ya I never thought of that either, before last fall I've only had them in for servicing over the last couple years so not much to go by time wise.

As far as getting an estimate guys I don't ask for one, if we have an issue with one of our vehicles I go there tell him whats wrong and make an appointment. I may ask him to ball park it sometimes just so I know I have enough money in my checking account, he charges extra if you use a credit card so I always pay with my debit card to avoid the extra fees.

I was just curious how the markup worked I had no idea there was a chart to go by and thought it was interesting all the different ways you guys said was used.

Last edited:
A trusted local independent shop that I’ve used for years recently charged me $350 parts and $122 labor to replace an oxygen sensor. I paid it, but later looked and found the part number they used is in stock at my local Napa for 152.99. I’m feeling a bit ripped off. Is 130% markup normal or acceptable? They even told me the $350 was a discounted price.

Last edited:
A trusted local independent shop that I’ve used for years recently charged me $350 parts and $122 labor to replace an oxygen sensor. I paid it, but later looked and found the part number they used is in stock at my local Napa for 152.99. I’m feeling a bit ripped off. Is 230% markup normal or acceptable? They even told me the $350 was a discounted price.
$152.99 to $350 is more like a 130% mark up,

A trusted local independent shop that I’ve used for years recently charged me $350 parts and $122 labor to replace an oxygen sensor. I paid it, but later looked and found the part number they used is in stock at my local Napa for 152.99. I’m feeling a bit ripped off. Is 230% markup normal or acceptable? They even told me the $350 was a discounted price.
Next time, slide under and change it yourself. You didn't have to give him the go ahead on the repair. Should have done your homework first.

Don't mechanics get a discount on part prices due to bulk purchases? So their list price is already after a discount from the parts supplier. Dealerships get parts at a discount, even from other non affiliated dealers. I've heard of MB marking up their own parts, and they get them at cost from the warehouse.

A trusted local independent shop that I’ve used for years recently charged me $350 parts and $122 labor to replace an oxygen sensor. I paid it, but later looked and found the part number they used is in stock at my local Napa for 152.99. I’m feeling a bit ripped off. Is 130% markup normal or acceptable? They even told me the $350 was a discounted price.
That’s probably their standard for O2 sensors. Gives them some room in case they have to fight with the sensor so they can still make some money despite only charging what seems like “book time” labor wise.

Don't mechanics get a discount on part prices due to bulk purchases? So their list price is already after a discount from the parts supplier. Dealerships get parts at a discount, even from other non affiliated dealers. I've heard of MB marking up their own parts, and they get them at cost from the warehouse.
A slight discount. Usually 15%-20%.... That slight discount won't pay the bills.

When you can't do the work yourself, you pay those who can. When they told you the estimated price for the repair was going to be ~$450, what did you think at the time ? Seems you were okay with it....

A slight discount. Usually 15%-20%.... That slight discount won't pay the bills.
I'm more than lucky .. my local guy prefers that I source parts (including fluids that I don't have time or confidence to change myself) trusting me to get OEM/NOS whenever possible. For him sourcing parts is a major pain.

Back