Parking brake shoes

Last winter when I did my brake job (unplanned due to a frozen pin) I left the original parking brakes untouched. They are the OE drum in hat style that Ford loves on their full size vehicles and they have received intermittent lubrication but now have almost 130k miles. Figure it would be nice to pull the brakes down to grease and inspect this summer and might as well do the p-brakes while I’m in there.

The OE shoes and most aftermarket shoes are organic but there is at least one semi metallic option. These are really only used as parking brakes and only rarely, way to undersized to expect any use as an emergency brake so I’m not sure semi metrical has ANY benefit here. Thoughts? I’d like the best “grab” from a total stop- so the best coefficient of static friction. What material would offer this?

Honestly, you're probably best off with OEM Motorcraft shoes, which you can actually get at a fair price.

Is this for the 2011 F150 in your sig? :unsure:

Looking on Rock Auto, there are some HH-rated shoes. Bosch seems to be HH from the pictures provided. Centric is often HH, but that doesn't guarantee their shoes for your car are.

If the semi-metallic shoes you found aren't HH, then they will not have a higher friction coefficient than the organic Bosch.

The best parking brake shoe design is that horseshoe shape that GM uses for some of their cars. They're very easy to replace because you just pop the old ones out and the new ones in, no scary springs to deal with :D

slacktide-bitog has good ideas.

Never having this type of brake system myself, shouldn't the emergency brake shoes last forever?

Unless you live in the rust belt, in which case most everything will corrode and freeze up, particularly if infrequently used. The brake pad linings will detach from the backing as well. After two F150's with this setup, and two explorers, ask me how I know... Put me in the camp of actually liking the electric parking brakes on my current F150...

Completely agree on just buying the OEM shoes if you actually determine they need replacing. I bought BMW branded shoes for my old 530i where after 25 years one lining came disbonded from the backing.

I have no problem going with Motorcraft, just hate paying dealer prices when equal or better parts exist. Yes, it is for my 2011 F150. Definitely a low frequency of use and they are actually still functional. But with 10+ years and 130k miles I figure they ought be replaced soon.

I have no problem going with Motorcraft, just hate paying dealer prices when equal or better parts exist. Yes, it is for my 2011 F150. Definitely a low frequency of use and they are actually still functional. But with 10+ years and 130k miles I figure they ought be replaced soon.

You don't have to pay dealer prices because Rock Auto has them under $40 a set :)

Back