Parents new car

My mom has been trying to talk my dad into getting rid of the 2006 Galant as it’s been stalling and rusting apart, and she wants him to drive something safer with AWD for all the snow they’ll be getting since moving. She initially sent me a list with a few trucks, a few Cherokee’s, and a Journey a month ago. I instantly nixed the 4 cylinder Cherokee’s and the Journey (shocking coming from me I know!), warned her of the potential goofiness of the 9 speed trans in the v6 Cherokee’s which got those thrown off, absolutely no to the Journey because Journey, and they didn’t want v8 fuel economy.

So I made the suggestion of a Mazda CX-5, which they brought home today. Beautiful blue color, Touring trim with no extra options, but a surprising amount of standard equipment. My dad isn’t a “car person”, he’s the type to just change the oil when required and fix them when necessary. But this is the first car we have ever seen him be excited about, he was reading the owners manual all night! Can’t wait to see it in person and take it for a spin.

Mom kept her 2013 200S with the v6, sometimes I think she loves that car more than me!
9ADEE575-6E2E-4265-A508-F2511B76128B.jpeg

My mom has been trying to talk my dad into getting rid of the 2006 Galant as it’s been stalling and rusting apart, and she wants him to drive something safer with AWD for all the snow they’ll be getting since moving. She initially sent me a list with a few trucks, a few Cherokee’s, and a Journey a month ago. I instantly nixed the 4 cylinder Cherokee’s and the Journey (shocking coming from me I know!), warned her of the potential goofiness of the 9 speed trans in the v6 Cherokee’s which got those thrown off, absolutely no to the Journey because Journey, and they didn’t want v8 fuel economy.

So I made the suggestion of a Mazda CX-5, which they brought home today. Beautiful blue color, Touring trim with no extra options, but a surprising amount of standard equipment. My dad isn’t a “car person”, he’s the type to just change the oil when required and fix them when necessary. But this is the first car we have ever seen him be excited about, he was reading the owners manual all night! Can’t wait to see it in person and take it for a spin.

Mom kept her 2013 200S with the v6, sometimes I think she loves that car more than me!
View attachment 28111
congratulations

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the CX-5. I had the pleasure of test driving a brand-new 2013 with the rare manual transmission; that thing was slow but it was pretty neat!

I hope your parents enjoy it. They’ve picked a good one.

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the CX-5. I had the pleasure of test driving a brand-new 2013 with the rare manual transmission; that thing was slow but it was pretty neat!

I hope your parents enjoy it. They’ve picked a good one.
I've owned a 2015 and now a 2019 with the turbo. The vehicle has evolved amazingly.

...long story short....brother and SIL love their CX-5.
Advise Pop as to the quality level of the oil required.
No $16 oil change specials for him.
Congrats!
The ONE OPTION I wish was available is a locking center differential like the Mitsubishi Outlander has.

...long story short....brother and SIL love their CX-5.
Advise Pop as to the quality level of the oil required.
No $16 oil change specials for him.
Congrats!
The ONE OPTION I wish was available is a locking center differential like the Mitsubishi Outlander has.
That would be nice, but the CX5 can lock the differential, it just does it automatically. That said, it does very well. I've made it up snow covered 27 degree inclines before on nearly bald tires, and that was in my 2015 which had worse "logic" than my 2019 by a noticeable amount.

I have been happy with our cx-5 with the exception of the paint. I have driven it in snow, and it does well. ride is very good. As is the handling.

There are a few annoying things about it, but overall i would get another, just don't get the red crystal soul paint, until they fix the chipping adhesion issue.

So sorry about the 200S those are terrible from what I have heard as with any Chrysler products lol. The Mazda is amazing though.

So sorry about the 200S those are terrible from what I have heard as with any Chrysler products lol. The Mazda is amazing though.
It’s been trouble free, but is kind of scary to drive because it roasts the tires in 1st gear and chirps 2nd gear all while trying to torque steer you into a ditch if you floor it from a stop :LOL: It’s basically a grand caravan drivetrain shoehorned into a midsize vehicle

It’s been trouble free, but is kind of scary to drive because it roasts the tires in 1st gear and chirps 2nd gear all while trying to torque steer you into a ditch if you floor it from a stop :LOL: It’s basically a grand caravan drivetrain shoehorned into a midsize vehicle
They do come in AWD. Would never own a FWD vehicle with that engine for the reasons you mention ,lol !

A set of Blizzaks would have been a lot cheaper.
Ah yes, let’s put lipstick on a pig, a twice totaled Grand Caravan that was very quickly turning into rust and a Galant that liked to stall at every stop light and was also rusting apart.

Back