Palm Beach International Raceway closes, Apr 23, 2022

Here in Colorado Bandimere drag strip has been in the same location since 1958 when it was out in the boonies at that time.
They built a major freeway next to it years ago and now are building houses across the road with in a 1/2 mile.
Cant wait for the new home owners to complain about it,especially when they have jet cars. LOL.

Bandimere Speedway, also known in the NHRA as Thunder Mountain, is a quarter-mile dragstrip located just outside Morrison, Colorado and Lakewood, Colorado. It opened in 1958 and hosts the NHRA's Dodge//SRT Mile-High Nationals. The facility has a seating capacity of 23,500 spectators.
I was at Bandimere last June, and race with Colorado guys all the time. I was told to not be surprised if the facility is closed within five years.

Such a nice, well thought-out track in addition to the beautiful location.

I was at Bandimere last June, and race with Colorado guys all the time. I was told to not be surprised if the facility is closed within five years.

Such a nice, well thought-out track in addition to the beautiful location.
Yeah they might get crushed by all the law suits from the Karen's living across the high way.

Unfortunately it comes to economics, the land can generate more income as something other than a racetrack. This is a dying sport/pastime. Most kids arent in to cars anymore. Also look at an NHRA event today, 90% of spectators are over 60. Then look at a video from NHRA in the 70's I dont think many are over thirty. The writing is on the wall. Like horse racing except racetracks wont be propped up by state governments. I live near Englishtown, who would have thought they would ever close.
Golf courses too, land is worth so much now.
I remember English town NJ ads when I was young.
Growing up on Long Island I think now every drag strip and racetrack has been closed down and also horse race track Roosevelt raceway decades ago.

What annoys me is people buy homes that get built around racetracks and then complain about the noise, like hello?

Golf courses too, land is worth so much now.
I remember English town NJ ads when I was young.
Growing up on Long Island I think now every drag strip and racetrack has been closed down and also horse race track Roosevelt raceway decades ago.

What annoys me is people buy homes that get built around racetracks and then complain about the noise, like hello?
and i remember opening day july 4 1966, etown at the time only had the nearby airport,not much in the way of housing, than people moved in and started complaining about the noise, trouble began, when vinnie past away his kids didn't want to keep fighting the town and newer locals, closed the track and latter went as far as tearing up the track .now it's go kart and off road dirt area only

hear the op about flying over a closed track as i did also in my mooney m20d when they were tearing up etown, as far as NJ goes now we are lucky to still have island dragway in the north which opened in 1962 and still looks the same and atco if your in the south end of the state

It’s not a good trend. In addition to this, Atlanta, done Houston, done Phoenix, done.

A lot of drag strips and race tracks are closing. Fan participation in racing is dropping off greatly in this country. Especially in the last decade. The NHRA is in serious trouble. NASCAR has also seen a huge die off, as has Indy Car.

About the only exception are the big, premier events like the Indy 500, and the Daytona 500. And even there they have other things to keep the fans interested besides the race.

At Indy this year there was a huge crowd gathered around a big concert stage they had set up in the infield. Those people didn't even know a race was going on. They call it, "The Snake Pit".

It's the same with motorcycle riding and racing. Most manufacturers are reporting lagging sales. Harley is in serious trouble. Their fan base is dying off as well. Young people today would rather play video games. Or else ride something they can plug into a wall socket.

Back