Overheated 04 Silverado; Any long term effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, thought about posting this in the cooling section, but maybe it fits here better.

We have mild temps where I live with 1 or 2 freeze out type weeks and this last one back early January saw my trucks thermostat get frozen stuck and consequently over heated.

Because I was on the phone, driving, talking about some busted water pipes I wasnt aware it was over heating until the dash chime went off alerting me that ENgine overheated (in ~33*F temps).

I pulled over immediatley and noticed that coolant was being pressure pushed out the small diameter over flow line (all of it).

I am curious if i've done any long term damage.
From what I gather, late model vehices have somewhat improved their overheat functions in the computer some times being able to side step catastrophic damage by managing the engine cylinders or other aspects.

After over heat, i waited for the cool down and added water until i could get some new coolant to top off with and everything has "seems" fine since. I havent had any pressure or leak-down tests yet because unfortunately getting these plugs/wires off usually means buying a new set of wires and I just replaced them like 45,000 miles ago.

How many minutes of cool down after engine shut down/radiator cap off you'd waited ........
before you began adding water ?

Not familar with this engine but it would need new plugs and wires from just removing them? Doesn't sound right. Should be able to reuse.

As to damage: if you shut it down immediately, then I doubt anything bad happened. It's a cast iron block, iron heads, etc. Not quite like the alloy wonders I drive.

I would get it fixed though. If the thermostat is sticking, it'll stick again. Good time to flush coolant also.

Im sorry I wasnt very clear about a few things:

I waited approx an hour before adding any water to the engine.

Also, the engine doesnt require new plug wires each time you remove them, they just tear and brake very easily because they're made like [censored] and it seems like they slant down-ward so removing them upwards from the top of the engine seems to make them tear/break really easily.

Last edited:
I think u are good to go. Personally I would replace the stat (cheap and easy) and replace the coolant w new (cheap and easy). I know what u mean about the wires. If it's running fine now, then need to replace them.

Where were you that it was -33F?

At that temperature, it's far more likely that your coolant froze, not that the thermostat stuck. Frozen coolant doesn't circulate, so, as the engine warms, you've got rapidly heating liquid in the engine, and solid, stationary slush in the hoses and radiator.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Where were you that it was -33F?

At that temperature, it's far more likely that your coolant froze, not that the thermostat stuck. Frozen coolant doesn't circulate, so, as the engine warms, you've got rapidly heating liquid in the engine, and solid, stationary slush in the hoses and radiator.

OP typed ~33F. The ~ symbol means about, in this case about 33F.

Whimsey

Is this like the saying I used to hear about frozen windshields? When you dethaw them by pouring water, NEVER use hot or warm water as it will crack the glass.

Is that why y'all stressed that waiting an hour was ok, but sooner could have damaged something? If so, what and why?

Time will tell if head gaskets or block suffered some ill effects. The situation hasn't helped longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back