Overfilling Engine Oil

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
I routinely overfill the engine oil. Not by much, though. My current car, and my previous car, took about 4.5 quarts to the fill line (with filter change). I just dump the entire contents of a 5-quart jug into the engine. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the current Camry and I know it wasn't an issue with the previous car.

Just wondering how many other folks overfill by a small amount, perhaps just for simplicity's sake or to avoid storing and keeping track of 1/2 quart or so residual oil?

No. they aren't designed to be on the verge of having issues with just a sliver of overfill. I've heard of people overfilling 3.5 quart engines to 5 and still not have issues.

i overfill by a as much as 25% of the sump like on the 4 quart civic taking 5 quarts in.

I look at a picture or a video showing the oil pan removed and where the dipstick and crankshaft are and if there is room to be overfilled. I often will put in an extra half quart. If the engine burns oil, this is a safety measure in case I forget to check the oil. Parking on an extreme slant could be a concern should the oil leak out the pan gasket or impede crankshaft rotation. Many Hyundais have a recall where they change [increase] the oil level spec and install a shorter/modified dipstick.

I like it to be as exact as possible. But overfilling it by .5 qts will not cause any harm at all.

Nope, not going to do it. All my 3800s called for 4.5 quarts and that's what they get. Don't you have some OPE you can use that oil in. I save my .5 quarts and use it up in my snowblowers.
I spoke with a number of 3800 owners who, for years, ran 6-quarts in that engine in Buick LeSabres with no problems whatsoever. I was never comfortable doing that, but 5-quarts felt OK, and time proved that to be just fine.

I don't know what an OPE is, but there are certainly no snowblowers in my area of California.

Question is...why intentionally do this? There's no benefit except in track use on some vehicles. Sure I've topped off or refilled and it was bit over, but never intentionally. Plus its easier to tell if your engine is consuming oil if its at the full mark.

I spoke with a number of 3800 owners who, for years, ran 6-quarts in that engine in Buick LeSabres with no problems whatsoever. I was never comfortable doing that, but 5-quarts felt OK, and time proved that to be just fine.

I don't know what an OPE is, but there are certainly no snowblowers in my area of California.
Didn't know you were in CA, mower mayber?

Yes I have been on a few forums in regards to the 3800 and I know they over fill them. Five qts is common but 6, that wold be over an inch above the full mark 😲

OPE - outdoor power equipment

On a 7th gen Accord 3.0L, when it was newish and one of the few time I had the dealer service oil and filter noticed dipstick was a little above the full mark on 4.5L rated sump. So next time I used 5 qts, checked the level after and it was same as dealer. I've continued the practice to this day. No issues. I like being able to use an entire jug. For me, having .5 qts left over ruins the Feng Shui of the OC. ;)

I'd say generally speaking 1/2 qt over on 4.5 qt. sump, no worries.

Last edited:
What Happens if You Overfill Auto Oil? - https://bit.ly/2ZFckcn
The article says: "Automotive oil reservoirs are designed to hold a bit of extra oil to compensate for fluid expansion in warm conditions, and to help prevent damage to the engine in case excessive oil is added to the engine. As a result, half a quart may not cause any damage to your engine, but much more than that could lead to engine damage."

If you're going to run over the recommended fill line, it's important to know your engine and how you drive

Back