Overdue oil change

I had a family member message me the other day and wanted to know if I would change oil in their rider. Husqvarna with a briggs 22hp v twin engine I said sure ill buy the stuff and you pay me back, done deal. I bought Briggs oil and filter. The rider was bought in spring of 2018 and had 180 hours on it so it has seen some use. I drained the oil and the filter was so tight I had to use a large set of pliers to get it off. I asked them who changed oil last in it because they put the filter on to tight. The reply I got was oh we have never changed oil in it yet.....I was at a loss. My husqvarna ts354xd with the kohler 7000 engine gets greased every 20 hours and oil and filter changed every 50. I told them I would change it this time and run it for a few hours and do another change on it, they thought that wasnt needed. So I said alrighty and changed it and gave it back to them. Does briggs have different service intervals then kohler or has this thing been neglected? I think I know the answer already though.

Most lawn mowers NEVER get their oil changed and when they're gotten rid of, it's not for engine damage. It's probably worn-out, wobbly wheels, a gummed-up carb, etc. Riding mowers might get taken care of a little better but the average person isn't doing it yearly or based on a fixed number of hours.

Most lawn mowers NEVER get their oil changed and when they're gotten rid of, it's not for engine damage. It's probably worn-out, wobbly wheels, a gummed-up carb, etc. Riding mowers might get taken care of a little better but the average person isn't doing it yearly or based on a fixed number of hours
How was the oil when it drained out? Not sludgy I’m assuming?

Does the engine consume oilcloth
How was the oil when it drained out? Not sludgy I’m assuming?

Does the engine consume oil?
Coal black with a few little sludgy deposits not bad though. Was almost down to the low point on the dipstick but not quite.

It's not one the them there new fangled B&S engines that never need an oil change is it......:ROFLMAO:

Hopefully you showed them how to keep it topped off.

I wouldn't worry too much that the oil was never changed... Small engines don't seem to care too much. The fact that your doing it now is more than most will ever see and they usually run fine until the tractor itself rusts apart.

I've had customers who have brought me 10+ year old mowers with a locked up engine. The engine was of course out of oil. They didn't even know they had to add/check it, nevermind change it.

Friend of mine bought a pusher and used it until it would not run.

The problem wasn't the extended oil change, the problem was the clogged air filter (dried dirt on the foam) and the apparent fuel dilution.

I would be cleaning that air filter with any oil change "engine salvation" regime

Back