Over the Range Microwave/Hood Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

When I bought my house 9 years ago, it didn't have a Microwave over the stove as my wife wanted. It had the correct cabinets over the stove to permit the addition of said microwave so I went ahead and ran a dedicated electric line and outlet and installed the oven/hood combo.

The first unit lasted about 4 years and died while she was cooking a large meal using all 4 burners on the stove which I imagine got the microwave very hot.

I then replaced that unit with a very similar GE unit. (I forgot to mention that the original unit was GE as well.)

Last weekend the replacement died after she cooked a large meal, using most, if not all, burners on the stove.

My questions are:

Is 4 or 5 years the lifespan on these devices ?

Does GE microvawes have some sort of defect ? (Any better brands?)

Any other tips or suggestions ?

Thanks.....

Personally I stay away from GE consumer products. They never seem to hold up. A microwave that gets average usage should last longer than 4 years.
Check out consumer reports.

not sure why using 4 burners would damage it.. the microwave vents to the outside?

Probably just its lifetime. Current Microwaves are cheapest parts possible = more profits .

My house came with all new GE Appliances.. and a Rheem water heater.

So far 2 visits for the fridge, and 2 for the Rheem hybrid electric water heater..

Not looking forward to 5 years from now.. Probably need all new.

Last edited:
Samsung, LG, Sharp and Panasonic are probably the only firms that still actually manufacture the units they are selling You.

Amana at least used to make reliable units. Their built in models were already sourced from Korea by the 90s I know.

Currently have an LG built Maytag built in has been no problems since its install in '06.

I had a GE countertop microwave oven fail after two years, and an above the range model blow after seven years of light usage. Some of those GE models are made in Mexico. Now I don't buy anything made by GE.

The GE Microwave/Hood Vent that came with my new home (1999) stopped heating food in 2005.

A same model replacement was over $400 so I just repaired the old one. I ordered 3 parts online; a new magnatron and a few diodes (or where they capacitors?) came out to around $200.

The hard part of the repair was wrestling that 800lb. oven back under the cabinets

The oven is still going strong.

statistcally, Whirlpool and Maytag (same company) are the most reliable. Samsung is among the worst (almost 3X worse). my amana failed after 3 years, my Goldstar (same company as LG) has been working for 13 years. try a different brand. there was another thread like this a month or so ago where someone's OTC microwave failed in 3-4 years. pretty common.

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
The GE Microwave/Hood Vent that came with my new home (1999) stopped heating food in 2005.

A same model replacement was over $400 so I just repaired the old one. I ordered 3 parts online; a new magnatron and a few diodes (or where they capacitors?) came out to around $200.

The hard part of the repair was wrestling that 800lb. oven back under the cabinets

Brand new GE/Whirlpool over the range microwaves are 300-400, no more. So you put 200 dollars into a 16 year old microwave?

I have a 400 dollar samsung microwave when it dies I will throw it out.

Never had any GE appliances give me trouble in the past.

GE wanted to sell their appliance division for a long time... too small profit margin on appliances.

My family's experience has been the opposite:
1. Son's new GE side by side refrigerator needed two repairs under warranty, and a third out of warranty. Repair #4, replaced with a Frigidaire that has lasted 10 years so far.
2. My GE down draft cooktop (GE-badged, Roper design) had to be replaced after four years. Parts not available, per the GE Serviceman. Offered $75 voucher to buy a new GE. Didn't cover cost of service call. I replaced with a new Jenn-Air that is still doing fine (10 yrs). Also had to replace counter top, due to the GE unique design on that model, before the new install.
3. Son's GE microwave/hood died after some use. Replaced with a Maytag that has done fine.

YMMV.

GE ovens and ranges seem to be OK. Son's range has required no repairs.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: paulo57509

Brand new GE/Whirlpool over the range microwaves are 300-400, no more. So you put 200 dollars into a 16 year old microwave?

I have a 400 dollar samsung microwave when it dies I will throw it out.

You can't read or do math very well can you. It was 6 years old at the time it was repaired. Even in 2015 dollars, $400 is a lot of money for me.

In December 2010 I bought a GE inverter microwave (counter-top) because I needed to replace a Litton that I had for 22 years. The GE puked after only 2 years. I decided no more consumer-grade microwaves for me. I replaced the GE with this:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/amana-rc...140RCS10TS.html

and it has been great so far. OTOH, I have a GE refrigerator and electric stove still going strong after 19 years. I also have a GE gas dryer of unknown age...purchased from a church rummage sale for $25. It's still running and I've done nothing to it since buying it about 3 years ago. Go figure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back