Over-the-ear headphones?

Well, my Sony MDR-XB950BT finally crapped out. Knew they would, they are known for breaking and being near impossible to repair. Not that I won’t try to epoxy them but still, after babying them for a couple years they did their time. Absolutely phenomenal sounding headphones, too. I’ve become spoiled.

So I’m on the hunt. Under $250 as a hard limit and under $200 preferred. Sound quality and minimal latency are mandatory, as is Bluetooth connectivity. Over-the-ear is preferred as is ANC. What all is out there these days?

I’m looking at the JBL Quantum 810, Sony WH-XB910N and the Sennheiser 450BT… or possibly the Steelseries nova. Open to other suggestions or critiques!

Regarding the WH-XB910N, I've got what appears to be a previous version - the WH-H900N. I've had them for several years, and they've been great. The only two small complaints are:

1) The ear pads are not so big that they fit over my ears completely. For this reason, they get uncomfortable after several hours. This has only been an issue when I was working from home and wearing them most of the day. On flights and other more typical use this has been a non-issue.

2) They turn off automatically when charging. This is much less of a problem with the WH-XB910s, as these newer ones claim 4.5 hours of run time from a 10 minute charge. Mine charge much more slowly, so dead headphones at the start of a flight would be a minor catastrophe.

I’ve got the Quantum 810s and as long as you don’t mind a little heft, they’re a good set. ANC and Bluetooth work great, ear pads and headband are very comfortable. Battery life is very very good, I think it’s rated around 40 hours and I can usually go over two work weeks without charging them if I keep the volume reasonable.

The biggest letdown IMO with them is with the purchase price all you get is a felt bag for carrying, and it doesn’t even secure… it’s just got a flap. Very subpar considering you’ve got the headset, Bluetooth dongle, usb cord and 2.5 to 3.5 mm cords to corral.

My ears really enjoy the JBL sound signature, and you can also use the Quantum virtual software for “7 channel” sound and EQ.

1691773084625.jpg
This guys over-the-ear headphone works real good for him. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
Well, my Sony MDR-XB950BT finally crapped out. Knew they would, they are known for breaking and being near impossible to repair. Not that I won’t try to epoxy them but still, after babying them for a couple years they did their time. Absolutely phenomenal sounding headphones, too. I’ve become spoiled.

So I’m on the hunt. Under $250 as a hard limit and under $200 preferred. Sound quality and minimal latency are mandatory, as is Bluetooth connectivity. Over-the-ear is preferred as is ANC. What all is out there these days?

I’m looking at the JBL Quantum 810, Sony WH-XB910N and the Sennheiser 450BT… or possibly the Steelseries nova. Open to other suggestions or critiques!

Sennheiser 450BT or maybe find a used pair of Bose QuietComfort 45. The Bose are surprisingly great - can't say that about most of their products.

Sennheiser 450BT or maybe find a used pair of Bose QuietComfort 45. The Bose are surprisingly great - can't say that about most of their products.
I have to agree on the Bose. I was never much of a Bose fan but then I ended up with two sets of Bose earbuds because they fit my ears so well, (sport and quiet comfort) AND now the over the ear QuietComfort 45 very comfy, like the sound.
Yes the noise cancelation is amazing when you turn it on.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Pew
I have just about every Bose headest ever made. I generally don't like them, I'm not convinced the sound quality is all that good, or all that accurate. The one exception is an older set of Bose QC25's. They are wired, and a bit more crisp and clean by comparison to the QC35/45's we have in abundance on our aircraft.

I remain a huge fan of wired headphones with quality drivers. I am reading the below article with interest.

Back