Outboard Lower Unit gear oil 80w-90

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change lower unit oil twice a year, spring and fall. If any sign of moisture I would have the seals replaced as the lower unit is costly to replace. By using this practice I have never, (knocking on wood) had to replace a lower unit. And I have had to replace my fair share of Props. Hidden stumps, sand bars, submerged logs etc.

So to just drain water from a lower unit on an outboard, and most I/O's is not practical, easier to just change the oil and any sign of moisture, repair.

Actually Bob, I was just trying to find out all your secrets on your tests. If I can stir you up enough, you produce one that has great results. Keep up the good work as I find your results very interesting and a positive aspect on lubrication proprieties and theories.

Well, You just keep up the good work!!! Got me off my fat butt and made me pull out those nails and got some pics for you.. Now, keep this in mind, the water was seperated from the oils and the nails were submerged in the water all of about a month. Notice that even though both were in water, the one nail is unaffected by the rust which was basicly coated with the gearoil when mixed up, so in a sense, you don't change it that often but if you have SALT WATER, whereas in this case this was nothing more than fresh tap water, imagine what your lower unit looks like after 6months of sitting...

-

my $0.02, I've been boating for 15 years or so and have had more than my fair share of outdrive problems. My experience though has been with mercruiser gear lube and the lubriplate 90wt hypoid gear oils available at dealers or marine stores like west marine. Typically a qt of Mercruiser gear lube these days is $10/qt. For outdrives you only need two quarts so it's not that expensive, considering boats are a sink hole to begin with. Many times I've had water in the outdrive or lower units on one of my 10hp or 18hpo outboards and when I drain the oil it comes out milky white with the water mixed with the oil. The water doesn't seem to separate from the oil, and I say this because I pull the boats in november/december and I won't drain the lower units till May/June so the oil sits for at least three months. The outboards are 1960-70's era and the one outdrive I had was a Merc I from 1976. The outboards still go like hell and I drain the oil out of the lower units with water every year. The Merc drive lasted close to 20 years and that was replaced because the outside case was corroded too much, but the internals were all good and that had water in it many times too. My experience is that you want a gear oil that will mix with water so it can still lubricate and provide corrosion protection. If the water won't mix with the oil then the parts that are in contact with only the water are doomed. And the last thing you want to happen is for the outdrive to sieze when you're 10 miles offshore because a seal gave way and water enters the gearhousing and the oil can't take it.

I understand there's plenty of marketing involved but with outdrives and lower units I recommend sticking with a lube that's specifically suited for "marine" or "lower unit" use.

Some good points but you need to look again at this. Water is not going to MIX with lube oil of any sort. It may milk up the lube, but where water co exists, there is corrosion and oxidation that is happening. Older engines were built mechanically to last longer back when, now with newer motors and such, it's lighter, stronger torque and different types of materials from previous. So, think about this, with water mixed with the lube, water will touch and oxidize parts. Where water is present, lube is not.. even though it's mixed, water has to displace oil to be in it, so wether it's mixed or on the bottom, you still have water encompassing around metal surfaces and the longer you allow the unit to sit, the more the oil will settle to the top, but in the mean time, there's still corrosion accumalating.

So, In this little demostration, those nails have only been in the tap water for less than a month and you can see the damage it did to the one actual marine gear oil. Speaking of which, tell me the difference between a marine gear oil and a standard gear oil, provided both are the same 80w90 visc...?

I forgot to give a better shot of those nails to provide a reference of what a new nail looked like against the ones in the water.

-

Bob, Interesting tests. None of my outboards have nails in the lower units, and when they leak water that badly I change the seals.

I realize this is your site, and it exists to push Schaeffers products, but some of your tests are downright misleading. 'Real' lower unit / marine gear lubes cloud and contain the water when water's present. The lubricity of water is much, much lower than 'real' marine gear lube with the water properly contained.

You can fool all of the people some of the time...

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andy H:
Bob, Interesting tests. None of my outboards have nails in the lower units, and when they leak water that badly I change the seals.

I realize this is your site, and it exists to push Schaeffers products, but some of your tests are downright misleading. 'Real' lower unit / marine gear lubes cloud and contain the water when water's present. The lubricity of water is much, much lower than 'real' marine gear lube with the water properly contained.

You can fool all of the people some of the time...

Andy

OK, You caught me, as you might think that, but since when does oil and water mix?. So what you are thinking is that the test wasn't actual marine gear oil.. You're right! At least one wasn't. That was the Schaeffers. The other one, welllll my friend, wrong call. It is a very well known MARINE gear oil, even got a pic of it on here for you to see...
Gear OIl tests

Just out of curiosity, do you have any idea as to the differences between a gear oil and a marine gear oil? Please enlighten me with your wisdom as I must be mistaken in what I know it to be.

I have no reason to lie to you or anyone else, so Please, you gonna tell me my test isn't valid, good since you have no nails in your lower inner gears, I can live with that, but tell me, Where is the Inner gear assembly on an out board? That's right, it's not a nail, use your imagination man, the nail represents the metal in the lower unit like maybe what the inner gear assembly uses. Oh, All gear oils are gonna mix when running under load, and all gear oils are gonna separate when left sitting as oil and water does not mix. This is true with motor oils, as well as gear oils, difference is, how soon does it separate, some with in seconds, others within minutes just depends on how long the oil has been in there. You think I'm fooling people, get your glass jar out, fill 1/4 with water, add 1/4 of your favorite marine gear oil. Just for the fun of it, stick a shiny nail in there as well, shake it up,(simulates running, just incase you don't see why) then set it down and watch how it DOES seperate.

One last thing, I know it's my site, but why do you feel it is necessary to "push" this issue in my face as if I am "pushing" schaeffers all the time? As many know, I don't sell small quanities and most on here are single users that ultimatly buy from others in less than min orders which I have no monetary relation ship with any more than I do with mobil and amsoil. I find it offensive that you'd think that's all I'm doing here. I thought that sharing this interesting info with others would provide some interesting tid bits of discussion but all you seem to get out of this is how I'm pushing schaeffers and how I'm out fooling people with this mis leading test... Shes-sh, why do I waste my time.
dunno.gif

Bob,
The primary point of the comment is that the 'shake the oil and water test' is only going to be a realistic lower unit environment if you've got a leaky gear box. We drain the gear lube after a full summer of running so the engine is stored for the winter with fresh lube. In a lower unit with good seals, you might have some milky-looking lube from the slight amount of moisture that seeped in over 6 months of use and stayed emulsified in the gear lube. In a well-maintained lower unit, you're not going to be running that much water, and it's not going to settle out. If you have a leak and take on more water than normal, there's enough room under the gear set at the bottom of the lower unit for a bit of water to settle out and be free of the gears and prop shaft, so you're not going to have the steel gears and other parts sitting in water the way your nail was.

A properly designed lube SHOULD take a long time for the water to settle out for just the reason your nail demonstrates. To say that an equal amount of water and oil in a tube is a representative lower unit environment is misleading at best.

It's a great site and there's lots of great info here. But there are folks that don't know when something is 'tongue-in-cheek' and might decide that the test is good and use the improper product in expensive equipment.

Andy

No, Bob, it's not alright to have water in the gearbox. And I don't think that simply draining the water and topping the lube should take the place of stopping the leak to begin with.

Sure, water will bubble, things will heat up, all the rest. BUT if a small amount of water comes in and is emulsified by the additives - chemically locked-up and kept out of the way, it doesn't act the same in the gearbox as free water would. In order: Dry lube, emulsified water, free water. Dry lube is good, free water is bad. Fix the leak.

The '...misleading...' paragraph: oil and water don't mix. The water is being reacted to by the lube additives. This isn't an issue of mixing oil and water. Your test shows what could happen to the metals that are below the gear box water line after that gearbox has taken on so much water that the additives are saturated and the lube can't contain any more water.

Re-run the test with the nails suspended in the gear lube above the water and you'll see what could happen to the gears. The only parts the nails represent in your current test is the aluminum housing below the prop shaft.

The difference between lower unit lube and other gear lube was already addressed in this thread. My complaint is in the construction of the test, and your analysis of the results.

I've never lost a trailer bearing, even when using standard grease. I now use a water resistant grease. I agree that one can see many trailers abandoned on the side of the road. I'll bet it doesn't matter one bit what kind of grease the factory installed in those trailers 10 years ago. I'll also bet 98 percent of the owners have never repacked the bearings. That's not a lube issue, that's an abuse issue.

In the spirit of friendly disagreement,
Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andy H:
Bob,
The primary point of the comment is that the 'shake the oil and water test' is only going to be a realistic lower unit environment if you've got a leaky gear box.
Yes, that is exactly correct.

We drain the gear lube after a full summer of running so the engine is stored for the winter with fresh lube.
That's good, so if I understand this, then a good maintenance practice is changing the oil after a full summer of running. In a lower unit with good seals, you might have some milky-looking lube from the slight amount of moisture that seeped in over 6 months of use and stayed emulsified in the gear lube. Ok, so now it's alright to have milky gear oil which indicates water in the oil In a well-maintained lower unit, you're not going to be running that much water, and it's not going to settle out.So, since the water doesn't settle out, then it wont produce any damage? Hmmm, did you ever think about how much heat water can induce into this unit due to the amount of oxidation levels that has incurred on this gear oil? If you have a leak and take on more water than normal, there's enough room under the gear set at the bottom of the lower unit for a bit of water to settle out and be free of the gears and prop shaft, so you're not going to have the steel gears and other parts sitting in water the way your nail was. Well, instead of taking the time to check the height of the gear oil in the unit, why not just pull the drain and drain off the water, then closing off this unit and top off?

A properly designed lube SHOULD take a long time for the water to settle out for just the reason your nail demonstrates.
If a gear oil has turned milky it is now a bad lubricant and has now oxidized to a point it cannot fight off the chemical reaction of water in the lubricant. This is one indicator of a weaken oil.. Two, when water is in the oil, heat now will rise in the operation of this unit. Water, when agitated, will produce more bubbles, which if you agitate then will create more heat. This will put more heat stress on the oil, put more heat stress on the gears and bearing, oxidize the bearing, causing it to pit and acid build up, also puts more heat to the seals thus drying out the plyablity of the seal and causing heat stress to such a point it can allow more water to enter in.

To say that an equal amount of water and oil in a tube is a representative lower unit environment is misleading at best.
Actually, it demonstrates exactly what will happen if you leave a gear oil in a lower unit with water milked up in it. Let me help explain even better... Water and oil don't mix correct?, since this is the case, water can attach to metal surfaces and cause rust and pitting of the metal surfaces. Even if oil is around, water is still present. The interesting thing about this demonstration is this, EVEN though both nails were submerged into water, BOTH were in LIKE conditions and BOTH reacted DIFFERENTLY. One no damage at all while the other completely rusted.
Take a wheel bearing on a boat trailer... it too is enclosed with grease, but yet, bearings go out constantly, why? because of water intrusion. When water is present, it breaks down the oil/grease, creating more heat, also creating rust spots and pitting of the race and bearings. Is this what you'd call ideal? Of course not, and to think fooling yourself that water mixed with oil is ok, that's ok with me, but please think about what you're saying as there is no difference between a gear oil and a marine oil and since you did not answer my questions above I can only figure you didn't realize this.

Like many things, marketing plays a role in product design and many do is provide the same product just with a different label. It's for people that feel it has to have marine on it.

Just like grease, most marine greases have a lithium complex but when water is mixed which happens everytime a hot bearing rolls into a cold water which sucks in the water from the heat cooling down, it cannot keep from mixing and milking up and loses it ability to maintain proper lubrication(just like your gear oil) thus wheels seem to be missing on many boat trailers on the side of the road. Yet, like you say, right lubricant for the right job.

It's a great site and there's lots of great info here. But there are folks that don't know when something is 'tongue-in-cheek' and might decide that the test is good and use the improper product in expensive equipment.
Don't we both know it! And hopefully you'll start to see just how you are missing the boat(no pun intended) on this issue with this test

Andy

[ January 13, 2003, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Andy, I appreciate the dialog on this subject which I feel will benifit many as you are bringing up some points which are overlooked by many. I have a lot to respond to but at this time, it will be a few days as I have a few things I need to catch up on. So please keep a watch on this as I will do a follow up to your reply.

bob

Andy, you stated "The '...misleading...' paragraph: oil and water don't mix. The water is being reacted to by the lube additives. This isn't an issue of mixing oil and water. Your test shows what could happen to the metals that are below the gear box water line after that gearbox has taken on so much water that the additives are saturated and the lube can't contain any more water."

First, lets take the fact you state that the water is being reacted to by the lube additives. I assume you mean it is say "encapsulating" the water with the lube so not to hurt the metal surfaces. So, with a lube that is milky, water mixed in the oil, it is still protected by the oil around the oil... well, think about what you're saying, in the test, which oil encapsulated the nail with oil? What better way to prove that even though the nail was completely submerged in the water the same amount of time, that the shiny nail was protected by the oil that coated it thereby keeping the water from affecting it, where the other oil failed miserably at encapsulating the water or the nail.

I decided to talk with one marine mechanic yesterday to establish your theory on water mixing with oil. Fascinating stuff. First, the oil in the lower unit is totally filled, leaving much of no room for any water. Secondly, the lower gearbox, is right at the bottom, there is no space under it where separation can occur without it touching the bearings and such. Where the round area is, you'll notice the drain hole is. This is the bottom area where the oil covers, and it is right at the same level as the bottom bearing for the gearbox. So to say there is room under the gear before getting onto the gear area, not happening. Of course, thirdly, you're correct, many times he see's oil mixed with the water giving a coffee colored effect of the mixed oil and water. But, here's another interesting point, if the oil is coffee colored and not separating, that oil has expended it life trying to keep that from happening so therefore, it is not protecting any more and does not keep water from damaging the lower unit. Amsoil's full synth as well as schaeffers blend and now have tried sta-lube and johnson hi vis lower unit gear oil, all will separate the water to the bottom, but also will milk up if oil is extended beyond it's ability to keep separated.

-

Notice, all are separated, two of the three are actual marine gear oils. All separated within less than 2 Min's after agitation.

I've got some experience with Schaeffer's 80w-90 syn blend gear oil. I use it in my 15hp lower unit and my brush hog gear box.

Before is started with the Schaeffer's I had difficulty with emulsification with both gear boxes. Now I still get water in the gear sets. However, the Schaeffer's seems to resists emulsification a lot better. I still change both twice per year.

Previous I had used Amsoil 80w-90 or what ever was cheapest at Auto Zone or Wal-mart.

I thought this might help add some light to the subject of water and oil....

How Water Affects Additives
From "Fluid Contamination Control":

Water in tribological fluids (other than water-based fluids) leads to a multitude of problems in terms of system damage and failure. Perhaps the worst threat of water contamination in storage is its reaction with additives and the damaging reaction products.

Moisture causes a filter-clogging slime to form in fluids containing tricresyl phosphate (TCP), an antiwear additive used in tribological fluids where an alkali is present. Of course this is not the case in a gear oil but...)If ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) is used as the antiwear additive instead of TCP,(Here we go, like in gear oils) many deteriorating mechanisms could exist; suffice to state here that ZDDP can decompose to form hydrogen sulfide and, in the presence of moisture, transform into a highly corrosive acid (sulfuric acid). Even in fluids of the corrosion-prevention type, moisture causes an egg-white type slime.

Hi Bob,

Good info here. My questions:

1. If the lower unit is completely full of gear lube, how much water can you realistically take-on? I continue to suggest no where near the 50% level in the test tubes. Is this a factor? I don't know.

2. You point out the decomposition of the ZDDP to form H2SO4... If you don't have more than, say, 5% water, how much of the ZDDP will break down? And what is the TBN capacity of gear lube?

My premise contines to be: A gearbox in good repair that's completely full of oil cannot possibly take-on half of it's volume in water.

Try the nail test again with 95% oil and 5% water.

Andy

"My premise contines to be: A gearbox in good repair that's completely full of oil cannot possibly take-on half of it's volume in water."
If water can get in oil can get out. Having seen a fair number of leaky gear cases its easy for me to say that there could be a 50/50 mix of water and oil. besides it doesnt take 50% water to severly degrade the lubricant. This is especially true of ester based syn lubes.

Ben,

Nobody in their right mind would make a lower unit lube out of organic esters ...they are all PAO based, with a little ester to balance out the seal swell properties and improve the solubility of the add pack ....

Even Redline wouldn't do something that dumb
wink.gif

andy H said My premise contines to be: A gearbox in good repair that's completely full of oil cannot possibly take-on half of it's volume in water.

Ben responded quite well about water mix ratios but I wanted to add that you're missing the point of this nail test. It's not to represent how much water can contaminate the oil, or how long it takes, but to show how a good gear oil can actually protect the surface of the equipment even though it is exposed to direct water for 3wks. As pointed out, the control nail looks like the nail in the schaeffers gear oil, which has maintained a protective barrier against the water whereas the full synth fail to do this and rusted. There is no way a system wont possibly get moisture so if a gear oil under this extreme condition can offer protection against rust, well...

This also points out how it's not so much the base oil (full synth vers a blend in this case) thats protecting the surface BUT the additive package that helps reduce wear and protects the surface of equipment from the elements.

Think about this, gear oil or any oil for that matter will settle down if left alone long enough, that being the case, where's the oil? on the bottom, and what about the surface above the oil line? What about an engine that is left stored for long periods of time, the base oil, synth, mineral or what ever is going to draw down from gravity, and depending on the additives used, they will either protect or leave the surface exposed to rust due to outside moisture accumulated from shut down.

It would seem to me that in itself would be a good thing, especially when shut down for storage.

Tooslick, I made my comment in a effort to inform people that esters and marine applications dont mix. You would be suprised at the stuff people put in the wrong applictaions. Being a lubrication guy I am sure you would agree the lubes tend be application specific.

Ben,

I would tend to agree with that, although I do think you have more flexibility when it comes to synthetic lubes in terms of making a multipurpose product, since the physical/chemical properties can be "tuned" more easily.

By the way, the Amsoil Marine Gear Lube is simply their GL-4 rated, 80w-90 that can also be used for manual transaxles. I think the reason why they don' t recommend their GL-5's for this application is that phosphorus and water don't mix well. As you may know, the GL-4 stuff has a lower additive "treat" level.

I always find Bobs tests interesting - especially since he doesn't know how they'll turn out. I'd like to see him do some comparison testing of two stroke formulations! Maybe you could come up with a relevant type of bench test we could run???

Ted

Tooslick, The jaso fc snoke test uses a homelite engine that vents its exhaust into a glass enclosure. That bench test would be easy. Other than that specific test, other performance tests would be very tough. To many things like carb tuning, temp, and humidity influence how clean a two cycle operates. You would drive yourseld crazy trying to chase down all the variables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back