Outboard additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a '97 Johnson 48. I haven't had any problems with it and it runs great. I was wondering if anyone recommends running any additives to keep it running good and to extend its life.

What oil are you currently using. Are you using any gas additives? -Joe

[ July 19, 2004, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: joee12 ]

The Evinrude oil with CarbX is meant for the FICHT engines, just as the Optimax/DFI oil was designed for the Mercury Optimax/DFI engines. These engines had alot of problems with carbon buildup and plug fouling at low speeds. The oils have an extra dose of carbon inhibitiors. As long as your engine runs clean, I would stick with the OMC oil you have been running. -Joe

OMC & Merc each have their own brand, which is probably no different than SeaFoam. It's a top end cleaner which removes carbon from the combustion chamber & rings. Supposed to be used once a year maybe, I don't remember the recommended frequency of use but I use it once a year on my early 1980's 10hp merc and 1970's 18hp evinrude. Not really an additive since it's a one time use. But it really does work and helps clean carbon buildup, which is kind of inevitable in 2-cycle engines. Yamaha also has an additive, more along the lines off what you are asking, which prevents rings from sticking. Although that should be the job of the 2-stroke oil I think, but a buddy with a 250hp yamaha on a 24' grady uses it religiously for the past 8 years or so and hasn't had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back