Our boy.. 3 weeks old now

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter was born at around 23 weeks, weighing 1 pound 4 ounces. She stayed in the NICU for 5 months before we got to bring her home. Those 5 months were such a roller coaster ride. One day she was doing great, the next day could bring a phone call telling us to rush back to the hospital cause she might not make it through the night. One day I remember was when my wife’s brother and his wife came to see Lainie for the first time. The sister in law was almost in tears because of Lainie’s condition and all of the machines she was hooked up too. All was fine until Lainie’s stats started to fall, and continued to fall. This would happen on occasion, but quickly rebound. This time, no rebound. The doctors rushed us all out of the room to work on her. We all sat in a waiting room praying, not knowing if that was her last few moments with us. Thirty minutes later the doctor came in to tell us her breathing tube had slid up out of her lungs not allowing her to get oxygen, but they got to her in time. I was the first one let back in to see her. I stood over her in tears and began praying. I told the Lord I would do my best to handle whatever happens but asked how my tiny little girl could take much more. I prayed, Lord show me something, any kind of sign. Now you need to understand that she was born so early that her eyes were still fused. But that day after I said amen, for a fraction of a second her little eyes opened and her tiny hand squeezed my fingertip. That is when I knew things were going to be OK. I did a lot of growing in that short amount of time. Lainie is 7 years old now and doing pretty good. She has some disabilities and limited sight, but is really smart and strong as an ox. She just got promoted to second grade last week. Having a special needs child is no easy task but they are so worth it. Sorry for the long post, but this thread brought a rush of memories long since visited. Our prayers and hopes are with you. Just know good days are ahead.

Originally Posted By: flacoman
Daughter born with the cord around her neck, spent the first few days of her life in there. Make sure you rest, you can't take care of the baby if you're not awake! One thing's for sure , your sense of fear gets re- calibrated by stuff like this !

All the best
Jorge

I agree with the fear re-calibration. Everything in life pales in comparison to our hopes and worry over our kids. Our daughter had a difficult delivery and had to go to emergency c-section. Because of the trauma, she had nerve damage in her neck, so that when she was born, her right arm didn't work at all. The doctors said if it was a nerve tear, it would never work, but if it was a nerve stretch, it may come back. Nothing in my life prepared me for the fear and worry I had for this little angel in the first few hours and days of her life. Thankfully, babies can rebound quickly and within 4 days we noticed twitches in her arm. At 6 days things were almost normal, and at 1 month, she had recovered fully.

This is nothing compared to what some of the babies and their parents have gone through as laid out above. And knowing the fear, concern and worry I went through over this with my own daughter (whose health issue was very minor compared to some of these kids), I can't imagine what some of these families are going through.

God bless and all the best to those kids that are suffering, and to their families who share that suffering. There is nothing more important than the health and happiness of these little ones.

Thanks for all stories and prayers. It's very helpful to hear babies that were premature develop into normal kids. He's only had one problem with his breathing tube and that was his fault. Since his surgery he keeps getting stronger and stronger, holds his head up a little and is able to push his butt up in the air (tends to like doing it). He's on the highflow now (below) and might be on the regular one shortly. Up to 2lb 2oz now. The bed broke so he's at room temp now and is holding his temp with no assistance. I think he loves challenges. Kids are so amazing.

100_1033.jpg

100_1030.jpg

Wow. Rough start for the little guy but very glad to hear he is doing well. I'm sure he'll be great.

Those pictures put a lot of things in true perspective.

Glad he is doing better Eric. Same for your kids Yuk. Hang in there. I wish the best for all of you.

Sorry Gary I just saw the pm. He was released on the 1st of August. He's up to 9lbs now. He has his hernia surgery tomorrow. All is going good. No real recent pictures.

100_1603.jpg

100_1609.jpg

There's nothing like them. My son is 2 years old now. I wouldn't trade him or my daughter for ANYTHING.

I hope all goes well with his hernia surgery. >

Keep us posted on how the hernia surgery went.

Luckily I was only 2 months premature and weighed in at hefty 4.5 lbs, but, apparently it was a very scary time for my parents. This was in the 1960's and I ended up having a hernia as well. Apart from a teeny weeny scar below my abdomen, you'd never know the surgery happened.

You and your family are still in our prayers.

Last edited:
Quote:
Sorry Gary I just saw the pm. He was released on the 1st of August. He's up to 9lbs now. He has his hernia surgery tomorrow. All is going good. No real recent pictures.

Keep us posted. I'm glad things are going well. You remain in my meditations.

Surgery went well. Had one on each side. Came home today. Poor boy already has three scars. My dad has had 2 hernia surgery's.. I guess I've been lucky.

The surgery didn't seem to phase him at all. Sure likes those pain meds though.. sleeps all night. Wife got picture happy yesterday.

100_0886.jpg

Brothers.. fighting already

100_0933.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back