other uses for starting fluid?

hello

I just removed my lawn and got rid of my lawn mower and no longer need the can of starting fluid that I have, not sure if should hang onto it... are there any other uses for it?

thanks for the reply.... I am looking to see if there are any other clever applications for starting fluid

A driver at work once got grease on his air lines and light cord. He wanted a can of starting fluid and a few rags to clean the grease off.

When I was repairing small engines and paving equipment hydraulics, I'd use it to clean fittings, etc. before disassembly/re-assembly.

Brake cleaner wasn't always available but cases of starting fluid was.

It’s a decent degreaser. It’s mostly ethyl ether. And I’ve had to use it to seat a tire more than once, although I also don’t recommend the practice. Can also be useful for hillbilly dry cleaning if you need to get a stain out of something, unless it’s one of the fancy cans with upper cylinder lubricant mixed in.

I can’t remember the last time I or anyone I know used starting fluid.
It is used frequently to aid older diesel engines starting in the winter. Caution, if you use too much, you'll crack a piston or ring(s). I've heard diesels hammer so hard you would swear someone was hitting the top of the piston with a hammer. Not the way to make an engine last.

Crack a piston or ring and you've got yourself an ether baby.

Back