Oreilly Select complete fuel system cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see anyone talking about this. I picked up a bottle of this off the shelf. On the website no pictures of the back are shown, and I couldn't even find a SDS for in Oreilly's system. However the search results claim it to be a Lucas product.

Here is the blurb on the back, which I found very interesting:

Removes carbon deposits from blah blah blah... Cleans the entire fuel system blah blah blah...
A comprehensive fuel treatment. Contains PIB amine and PEA detergents.
Use every 5000 miles
12oz, treats up to 20 gallons.

I haven't heard PIB mentioned in regards to fuel system cleaners. I would guess that this means Poly-iso-butane (butene?) which is a component of 2-stroke oils as many are fond of putting in their gas. Not sure about the amine part though. But perhaps there is no connection at all.

That part got me thinking. Supposedly PEA only works gradually, so if people notice an immediate improvement, then why couldn't it be the mineral oil or other parts of the fuel additive acting as a UCL like the 2-stroke oil? In which case, if one really wants to know if a fuel treatment is effective maybe it makes more sense to use a UCL and then switch to the PEA fuel system cleaner so that the change in cylinder lubrication is less likely to be a confounder.

After some searching, Polyisobutane appears to be a misnomer in a 2-stroke oil writeup. Polyisobutene and polyisobutylene are the same thing and are both PIB. PIBA is polyisobutene amine and is a detergent/dispersant like PEA.

PIB is a weak cleaner that is more of a deposit controller than a deposit cleaner. This is also a synthetic component of 2-stroke oil. Can clean desposits but only at high concentration as in throttle body cleaner, etc.
PIBA can remove some deposits but doesn't survive the heat inside the cylinder.
PEA is the most effective at removing deposits and survives cylinder temperatures better.

I've read that PIB is useful for removing water and am very interested in how it does this, if anyone has any information. IE does it turn the water into a suspension, does it dissolve the water into the fuel, does it just help it to mix in like salad dressing? PIB is used in sunscreen to make it water resistant, but if I take it as a rust protection coating then this contradicts information that brightstock is actually a better rust preventative in 2-stroke oil.

PIBA is a common detergent in gas and in high enough concentration is an effective DCA, or deposit control additive. But oddly enough, too much can actually promote ash like deposits. How much is "too much" is beyond me.. I've never read anything in re to that question.

Fwiw, AZ has Gumout Regane System cleaner on BOGO right now. 2 x 12oz bottles for around $8. Not a bad deal at all... and Regane parts and TB cleaner w/PEA is BOGO for the 16oz spray cans. I picked up two of each just the other day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
...... and Regane parts and TB cleaner w/PEA is BOGO for the 16oz spray cans. I picked up two of each just the other day.

Your vehicle has TB?.... sorry to read that!
All joking aside, what are the words for your TB abbreviation?

I'm still on 'blurred" Monday Mode here. We had off from work yesterday, for Martin Luther King Holiday.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
...... and Regane parts and TB cleaner w/PEA is BOGO for the 16oz spray cans. I picked up two of each just the other day.

Your vehicle has TB?.... sorry to read that!
All joking aside, what are the words for your TB abbreviation?

I'm still on 'blurred" Monday Mode here. We had off from work yesterday, for Martin Luther King Holiday.

...‚

Yeah, what Otto said... throttle body.ðŸ‘

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back