Options for extended OCI on 2014 Mazda5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Mazda5 with the 2.5L NA Mazda/Ford engine and 5-speed auto that will be coming up on 60K miles. It has spent its entire life on 0W-20 religiously being changed every 7500 miles - usually Vavoline but I did a few OCs at Firestone and I believe they used Kendall at the time.

Here is the last UOA - Iron and copper are high - https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4797717/1

This is our basic local family hauler and because it’s small but seats 6 and is easy to drive (drives like a go cart) my wife loves it. When I think about how it’s used I do feel it falls under the severe driving conditions category . I live in central MA where the winters are long and cold and the summers are fairly warm. The engine is way underpowered and so you have to give it the beans all the time just to get up to speed. Want to do 75mph on the highway and the engine is humming at 3K rpm. It does lots of very short trips loaded with 4-5 people including going 200 yards down the road in sub-zero temps to drop kids off at the bus stop only to be driven home and turned off before the engine gets anywhere near operating temp. At other times it idles for long periods of time in the hot summer.

The plan is to keep this car as long as possible and hopefully keep it until my 13 year is ready to drive. If it died tomorrow I wouldn’t shed a tear but it runs well, it’s in good condition, my wife likes it, and it’s not worth much so why not keep it? I’d like to go to an extended drain interval just to simplify my life. Currently the car does about 12K miles per year so I’d be happy just changing the oil once every year. With the severe driving conditions and last UOA in mind while not an expensive or high performance car I’ve had good results with Amsoil and was thinking for $80 per year if I can only change it once and get those wear levels down then great. Question:

1. Since warranty is no longer an issue I was thinking of going to the 0W-30 or 0W-40 SS to try and get those wear levels down. When I look at the specs for Amsoil’s SS there are very few differences between the SS 0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 0W-40 as far as cold weather performance. Which would you choose and why?

2. I know Mobil has an extended drain interval oil that would be significantly less expensive but I’ve never used Mobil anything - wondering how everyone feels it would hold up in this application?

3. Any other EOI options you’d recommend?

Last edited:
The driving style that you describe....200 yds. to the bus stop in freezing weather etc....would account for the high iron and copper in the UOA, IMO.
I have that engine in my 2016 Escape and they are known to be durable but I wouldn't go 10 or 12K on any oil with the conditions that you describe.

The large sump capacity of the 2.5 (5.7 quarts) and lack of DI makes me comfortable going longer than I do with my Focus 2.0 (which is virtually the same engine downsized with a 4.5 qt. capacity and DI)....I notice the oil darkens much sooner in the DI Focus than in the Escape.

So to answer your question...I'd keep my OCI at about 8-9K max in those conditions using a good synthetic.... I might give an 0w30 like M1 a shot....Edge EP 5w20 is another option as it's on the thicker side of the 20 weights. I'm thinking something with a bit more viscosity might lower those wear numbers but you don't want it too thick because of those short trips...0w30 might be a good compromise...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Just stick M1 in it of an appropriate grade and drive it a year...

^^This^^

0w20 is one of the better Mobil 1 formulations … I prefer the EP version …

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Just stick M1 in it of an appropriate grade and drive it a year...
We need more Voo Doo and marketing claims than just use M1 and change the oil once a year.

Since you want to go with an annual change and 0wxx, I'd suggest Amsoil 0w30, proven to be a very stout oil that has always shown great UOA results on reports. Get a solid filter that's ok for a 12,000 mile interval and you should be good to go. With the short tripping, I'd take a sample after maybe 7500 to make sure things are looking good.

Lots of votes for M1; not my favorite but you could try the same strategy there using EP, or even standard M1.

I have put about 450K using M1 0-20 in my last three Duratech Ford engines(2.0,2.3,2.5). All performed very well, never showed any sign of engine wear, and remained very clean, all at 10K OCIs.

Wife’s car is a 2012 Mazda5. Yes it’s a family hauler, but I love driving it. You’re right, it feels like driving a go cart. [censored] her off when I drive it when she’s with me lol.

I would choose Amsoil SS 0W-30 because it is an excellent long drain oil and its viscometrics seem to match your climate, driving conditions, and engine.

That engine's pretty easy on oil as I understand it. I'd stick with M1 either AFE or EP would do the job, use a quality filter like Fram Ultra or Tough Guard as well.

here's a Plan B

every 6 months suck the oil out through the oil stick tube, replace the filter once a year.

this way you can UOA each 6 months and decide which oil is better based on testing
then once a "good" oil (based on whatever over'd specs get reduced) is found
then try additives. I did this for several cars for various reasons - worked.

you will also clean out oil between seasons - each 6 months covers winter/summer.

good luck, I've had 2 Mazdas and they are sleepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back