Opinions? Tires for 2004 Acura TSX. 60 mi hwy, 20 mi city per month NYC area climate

BITOGers aren't usually shy with opinions, so asking for thoughts on tires for a less than 1000mi/yr older vehicle (2004 TSX).

Likely to continue current monthly 60 mi hwy, 20 mi in city, and driving may occasionally coincide with rain, and even rarely snow (or at least after-snow salty slush). Time, not tread-depth, will wear, and opportunities for any further "spirited" driving are few to none. Don't want to go used.
-
May have to travel, or order online and find a balancer/installer, as neither tire chain-stores nor superstores are local, and visible local tire businesses seem only quick "flats fixed" joints in previously abandoned storefronts.

Without accounting for availability, a few seen online were:
~$100 range - but still recognizable names: Kumho LX Platinum KU27 All-Season Tire for $79, Goodyear Reliant All-Season at $105, at Walmart.
~$150+ range: Continental PureContact LS, General G-Max or Altimax 365AW, Kumho Ecsta, Toyo Extensa, Cooper CS5 Ultra, Yokohama Advan Sport A/S+, Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS PLUS 2 (though "only" 91V vs OEM 93V)
~$200 range: Bridgestone Turanza Quiettracks or Potenza RE980AS Plus, Michelin CrossClimate 2s, Pirelli P7 AS PLUS 3, Bridgestone

Existing tires* were put on bit more than ten years back, when vehicle was still a 400 mi/week commuter, and were super. They still feel darn good - but street-parking-enhanced sun/weather cracking is a bit too much (visually) to ignore.
-
*currently: Bridgestone Potenza G 019 Grid High Performance All Season
- When another set of the OEM Michelin Pilot MXM4s P215/50R17 OEMS weren't in stock, a chain-store counterman offered a great 4 for 3 deal on these in the same size, and IMHO they turned out quieter and better performing in all conditions (even "spirited" driving) compared to the Michelins.

Attachments

• tirecl.jpg
    tirecl.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 61
I have the P7 AS+2 on the Accord and like them but don't use in snow. I put the AS3 on sister in laws Traverse, she hasn't complained and used year round.

I would probably look at the AW365 or Toyo Celsius in case you do have to go in the snow, maybe even the GY WeatherReady.

Where are you that installers are difficult? Tire Rack has recommended installer links on their website.

My choice would be the General 365AW or Nokain WRG4 or the Nordman Solstice (old WRG3)

Out of the cheapest tier, the best one seems to be the Kumho LX Platinum. While it is exclusive to Walmart now, that wasn't always the case. The LXP used to be a regular Kumho tire sold everywhere, until it was replaced by the Solus TA71.

P7 AS would be my choice, purely from having had them on son's Mazda3.

🛑

The minimum load index for the OP's TSX is 93. They will not install tires of a lower load index than OE.

Load index is more critical than speed rating. While some shops may be flexible with speed rating, they won't be flexible with load index.

The minimum load index for the OP's TSX is 93. They will not install tires of a lower load index than OE.

Load index is more critical than speed rating. While some shops may be flexible with speed rating, they won't be flexible with load index.
The P7 AS3 is 95V. Tire Rack AS3 215-50-17

Since time will probably be more of a factor and not doing winter tires, I'd probably opt for a lesser UTGQ for mileage and get a 3PMSF version like the General or Toyo.

Had an '07 TSX and still would if not for an idiot hitting it while stopped. I'd go with Michelin CrossClimate 2s, Pirelli P7 AS PLUS 3 even though more expensive. YMMV

Whoo... fast commentary, thanks.

My mechanic had noted he could get some used "that will fit." But don't want to go that way. Even though the car is old, it's not a beater.

Looking at lower treadlife? Yes, a good performing tire made economical by low treadlife would be great - will look but not sure they exist.

Never considered cheaper before, but the usage was always high in the past, and the remaining life of the vehicle was not in question. Interesting on the Nanking brand. OOS in that size at WM, though. The Kumho is available there, and surprised at the 500AA UTQG and A Traction ratings.

About installers and shops - it's weird around here. It can be easier and faster to drive 20 miles via highway to a suburban area with parking etc, than 2 miles through city streets to a local establishment, where you either block the entrance, a fire hydrant, or triple park. Looked at TireRack and what's recommended are "mobile installers." The no-lift, jacks-on-the-street "flats-fixed" kiosks would probably do anything tire-related (if only by hand if possible).

drive out of the city to a walmart, tire franchise or acura/honda dealer (“buy 3, get 1” promo). spend absolutely no more than $100/tire, all-in, otd. get an alignment too. make it a weekend fun trip. especially if going to a dealer, how is your maintenance situation otherwise. i.e. recalls, battery, oil, brakes, coolant, tranny?

The Kumho KU-27 is a good value. I had WM install a set of Kumhos (Solus TA-71) on my previous Subaru. Their price with balancing and installation was extremely competitive.

I had to drive a bit to find a WM with a tire center as none where l live have auto centers. I ordered online and had them delivered to the store.

The Kumho KU-27 is a good value. I had WM install a set of Kumhos (Solus TA-71) on my previous Subaru. Their price with balancing and installation was extremely competitive.

I had to drive a bit to find a WM with a tire center as none where l live have auto centers. I ordered online and had them delivered to the store.
I bought two sets last month. I'm very happy with them.

Appreciate the personal experiences with your tires.

> how is your maintenance situation otherwise?
Battery, brakes, oil changes, all OK. New starter last year. Nothing recent except for a stolen catalytic converter.
> make it a weekend fun trip
:) Hmmm.

I'd pick the Continental DWS06 or the PureContact LS
I have PureContact LS on my 2008 Volvo S60 and Michelin CC2 on my wife's 2018 4cyl Toyota Camry LE. I like both tires a great deal and will be hard pressed in choosing between those two when it comes time to replace tires on my 2014 Toyota Camry SE.

Wow, you barely drive that car. I love TSXs. We have a 2006 that is perfect.
With that little driving, you will probably be happy with any decent tire.
I run Bridgestone Turanzas; pretty good and a little pricey.
I recently put a set of Continental Purecontact on a friend's 2019 CR-V. It transformed the vehicle.
Kuhmos are a decent cheap tire.
If you can get Michelins at Costco, I'm sure you will love 'em. I will use them next time.

I think the bigger question is, how much do you want to spend?

Imho, if you are not very concerned re winter/snow - General G-MAX AS-05 is an excellent tire, have it on Forte and am very happy with it.
If need more winter ready tire - Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady is a very good tire.
Don't cheap out on tires, I personally had a couple of life lessons where tires mattered.

Back