Opinions on PC Duron E please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some feedback on the new Petro-Canada Duron E 10W-40 grp 3 synthetic in comparison to the 5W-40. I have been using the 5W-40 in my 03 7.3 PSD with very good UAO's. Here is the link to the data sheets

PC Duron data

I know there isn't much data there but what do you guys think between the two? Thanks.

Sounds like a computer's CPU to me but....well, when the TV talk show mentions foreplay I think of two bacon cheeseburgers.

quote:

Originally posted by controlfreak:
[QB] I would like some feedback on the new Petro-Canada Duron E 10W-40 grp 3 synthetic in comparison to the 5W-40. I have been using the 5W-40 in my 03 7.3 PSD with very good UAO's. Here is the link to the data sheets

Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe the synthetic Duron 5w40 is one of the very best motor oils in North America for diesel engines. If I was already using it, with good results, I wouldn't switch to a lesser product.

I was considering it th 5w-40, but decided against it due to poor opinions but a couple users on here who had shearing problems with it.

I'd consider the Esso XD-3 0w-40 for a great oil in a similar price range.

These new oils are designed to meet standards for the next generation diesel engines. Standards designed to reduce emissions
Typically, lower ash (could be less detergents) and lower zinc levels are obvious differences.
How oil companies are formulating these new oils to be as robust and long-lived as their predecessors is still bit of a mystery until VOAs are done.

I would stick with the 5/40, seeing the numbers are very similiar.

Have you looked at the(older) Duron XL(semi-sythetic) 10/40? This is tremendous oil for the money. It was about $3.00 a litre cheaper than the 5/40 last time I bought it. It is a very popular oil for diesel pickups in my area and I use it in 5 motorcycles happily.

I agree with TR one of the best UOA's I have seen was a 5k OCI and his Fe was 6 and 7 constantly all other numbers were good also. I think its one of the most cost effective oils in Canada. Unless you are out to get more mileage by using a lower number, stay were you are.

I spent several days looking through all the data in this site and others on Duron 5W40 and Esso XD3 0W40 a while back. From what I found, those are two of the most cost efficient and best oils found in Canada. If you have a pre 2007, you would do well to stick with the Duron 5W40. It has a higher tbn than the newer formulations. I wouldn't use CJ4 unless you have a vehicle that requires it.

I've mentioned this before, elsewhere, but if you live in Alberta you should look at the United Farmers of Alberta Polar Plus 0w40 Super. It is supposed to be the same as Esso XD-3 0w40, but priced lower. And you don't have to be a member to buy from UFA.

Quote:

I've mentioned this before, elsewhere, but if you live in Alberta you should look at the United Farmers of Alberta Polar Plus 0w40 Super. It is supposed to be the same as Esso XD-3 0w40, but priced lower. And you don't have to be a member to buy from UFA.

I was at CoOp yesterday, and asked about their 0w40 diesel. They said it was made by CoOp themselves. Any other ideas?

The new CJ-4 additive chemistry is superior to the older CI-4 spec in terms of minimizing wear, oil consumption and engine deposits.

The one drawback to using CJ-4 is that the reduced additive levels necessary to meet the chemical limits of this spec means these new oils will not last as long in service. The estimate I've seen is that you can expect a reduction of 20%-25% in service intervals - if you run your oil out to the absolute limit using oil analysis.

I'd run a comparison test of the Duron 5w-40 to their new Duron E, 10w-40 over a 16,000km-20,000km service interval and see how the numbers compare. I think you'll be surprised at how well the new stuff does in terms of TBN retention...

TeeDub is onto something. I am starting to see TBN numbers that slid in the past stay in the upper end of the spectrum. Apparently, the sulfer that was in the old diesel fuel formulation just created lots of byproduct in the form of acids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back