Opinions on New Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gentlemen,

I'm looking to replace my workplace desktop computer, which is an 8 year old HP Pavillion, 2.5Ghz, 2Gb ram (no flaming please
grin.gif
). The machine has been dead on reliable but is showing it's age. This machine gets the job done, so that indicates my needs - basic word processing, spreadsheet, database. No gaming, no high end graphics.

I need to get up to speed on brand advice regarding support, reliability, etc. more than system advice (but welcome that also). Dell, HP, Lenovo seem to be the leading brands at this commodity level?

Considering the "small form factor tower" vs. full tower, but not the really small desktops.

A starting point is the entry level work station Lenovo P300 with maybe a processor upgrade. Need to stay well below $1,000, not including monitor. Probably will get Windows 7, with idea of upgrading to 10, if warranted.
http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/workstations/thinkstation/p-series/p300-sff/

PCmag likes it, but you know about rag reviews: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2469693,00.asp

Thanks a bunch! Not looking to build one or get into "Geek" level.

Look at one of the CPU benchmark websites to see how fast the processor really is. Get a SSD. 8GB memory. Not sure why you want a desktop. I use a laptop with external monitor, external keyboard and mouse. But if I need to bring the laptop with me its easy to take.

Look up shell shocker deals on newegg. I haven't found anything to beat those deals

Last edited:
Are there any Windows specific applications you need to use, outside of an office suite?

That Lenovo is overkill for typical office work. It has a Xenon processor which is made for server duties. Meaning like the latest fad, it's tends to run the hottest and it's fans are loud.
Hot is relative though. It's nowhere near as loud as the Pentium 4 Prescott processors.

For Office work, you'll be fine with just about any current generation Intel Core i3, i5 4000 series processor. In fact they are so fast and cheap that I even recommend buying a cheap one in the $300 range just to throw away after 1-2 years.

Like others have mentioned, get an SSD and don't worry about splurging on them. SSDs will be more than fast enough for your next system. I'm still using mine from 2009. Lowest price I've seen is $145 for 480GB.

It's ironic that laptops from Office Depot and Staples are cheaper than desktops, but be weary of the cheap ones. As long as it's an Intel i3 it'll be plenty fast. If you do go laptop, tie it down with those Kensington cables.

Last edited:
Get a good quality laptop with an SSD hard drive. No need for an obsolete desktop - loss of flexibility and portability.

I began using a laptop as my primary and only computer about fourteen years ago. Since then I have never wished to have a desktop instead. Desktops are useful when you need greater cooling (ex, because you need a powerful discrete GPU, most of us don't) or expandability (ex, more storage devices) but otherwise I don't see much point.

If you shop laptops, beware that their build quality varies considerably. That aside, size is the first question I have. And if you spend a lot of time using it, the quality of the screen, keyboard, etc, are very significant.

I will not buy this.
you can buy a touchscreen lappy for under $300 with 4 gig of ram that runs fine for regular stuff.
you can buy a HP or Lenovo "small form factor" or all in one for half what is selling for.

Consider throwing Linux Mint on the old machine with OpenOffice or LibreOffice as your office suite and I think you'll be amazed.

Mint just seems to work.

Originally Posted By: razel
That Lenovo is overkill for typical office work. It has a Xenon processor which is made for server duties.

The entry level version of it comes with an Intel Core i3 CPU.

BTW, it's Xeon, not Xenon.
smile.gif

For what you use it for if speed is the only thing that is bothering you then keep what you have and throw in an SSD. It will boot up faster than anything you've seen. Also max out the RAM.

I buy off lease desktop workstations from Dell for $200 then add a new HD and max out RAM. Since I am still on WinXP 3.5Gb is the max. They last years. I don't need a rocket ship at work.

Cost: $350

Originally Posted By: skulldrinker
For what you use it for if speed is the only thing that is bothering you then keep what you have and throw in an SSD. It will boot up faster than anything you've seen. Also max out the RAM.

Make sure if you get an SSD your use Win7 or 8...Xp just has too many issues with a SSD.

Last edited:
Since you seem to keep your gear for a while, I'd buy the most powerful machine I could.

Sure, you could go with the i3 and replace it every few years, or get the fastest i7 with as much RAM as you can afford and be good for another decade just like your current rig.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I buy off lease desktop workstations from Dell for $200 then add a new HD and max out RAM. Since I am still on WinXP 3.5Gb is the max. They last years. I don't need a rocket ship at work.

Cost: $350

This is the same route I recently took last month.

I "upgraded" from a 13 year old no-brand PC to a $200 4-year old off-lease HP Elite 8100 CMT Core i5 with 4GB RAM. It came with a wiped HD and no OS. I just replaced the used HD with a new one, created a bootable WinXP install disk with the required SATA drivers and just reloaded everything that was on my old system.

I had to add a $20 sound card and I also upgraded the video card as well.

I'm not a computer wiz by any stretch so I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth setting up the new PC was to run WinXP.

I read that I'm not using the "new" PC to it's full potential but I don't have the funds to upgrade all my SW applications to 64-bit, but for around $300, I'm pretty satisfied.

The one thing that is a pain with HP is they use power supplies with non-standard plugs (no one make adapter cables). I do like the cabinet layout and that tools aren't needed to perform common tasks. Everything slides in/out or snaps into place.

You should be able to get a PC that will last for at least 5-6 years for less than $500. I'm talking something like an i5 with 6-8GB of RAM. Those things start getting expensive when you customize them.

Take a look at dell outlet business class desktops.

Specifically the optiplex.

They have refurbished and open box models. I have two refurb dells and they look like brand new in and out, and have full warranty.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Take a look at dell outlet business class desktops.

Specifically the optiplex.

Not a bad suggestion. With the current coupon, looks like you can get an Optiplex with an i7 CPU, 8 GB RAM, and Win 8.1, and 3-year warranty for just a little over $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back