Opinions on ECHO CS-400 Chainsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to buy this and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this model? I have mostly all Echo OPE and love them. This saw will get fairly light use trimming trees around the house and woods. My local dealer has it for $299 which includes an 18 inch bar 1 chain a quart of echo bar and chain oil a nice carrying case and a hat. I compared the Stihl, but it seems to get the same size 40.2CC motor and 18 inch bar,it was about 100 bucks more with no case.
Pete

Last edited:
That doesn't sound like a bad deal at all. I believe you can get a Husqvarna with 18" bar for like $329 from Lowe's. It doesn't come with all of those goodies though.

Echo are fairly decent units for homeowner use. I'd much prefer an Echo over a Poulan or any of the other imported rebadged ones, except maybe some of the Tanaka saws, they make pretty good little engines.

Always used Stihl saws myself but I have had some time to play around with others. Another good line is the makita/Dolmar saws, well built and plenty powerful.

I have the CS-400. Bought it ~4 years ago based on my proximitey to a Echo dealer. Just used it for the first time this year last weekend. Started up easily and ran fine on fuel that had been left in it since last fall (woops!). Great saw for the work you describe (which is what I use it for also). FYI...if you can choose between the hard storage box or the bag, go with the bag. I have the box and it really sux.

My dealer also has the Echo 450 on sale for only $349.00...doesn't come with the extra goodies but it might be worth considering also.

I have the cs-450 I've been happy so far. Always starts and with a good chain ( STil or Carlton) does not require much adjustment after the first few cuts.

The saw you mentioned will be my next one. The John Deere saw I have now is getting tired. Lot's of wood through it! Also have the Echo string trimmer and leaf blower. Got at Home Depot 4-5 years ago, very happy with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back