Opinion on changing oil after throttle body cleaning??

Lady friend of mine, her 2006 Chevy Impala 3.5L was running really really rough. Threw in 6 new ACDelco platinum plugs and still not running right -- with loss of power light illuminated on dash. So I bought a can of intake cleaner and used that with a old tooth brush and some rags -- used the whole can cleaning the throttle body up. Also cleaned the MAF sensor while in there. Car runs nice and smooth now. Question is -- after using a whole can of intake cleaner -- change the oil right away or let it go. Oil in crankcase now has alittle over 1000 miles on it.

Thanks, Dale

I try to time, spark plug changes, intake cleaning, and an intake pea treatment just before an oil change. Having said that, i'd change it in another 1k. I doubt much intake spray got into the oil. I'd worry more about anything that fell in the spark plug holes doing the plugs.

What is intake cleaner? A solvent. What do solvents do? Break down oil.

Now, gasoline is also a solvent and oil does fine with that by design. So you want to ask, how close is intake cleaner, chemically, to gasoline? And how much really got "into" the engine vs being consumed, evaporated, or mopped out?

I agree.. 98 percent of the cleaner god burned in cylinders. The 1/3 ounce that got in is no big deal.. change the oil at 3000 or 4000 miles after using some techron fuel cleaner now and again 300 miles before next oil change

Did you spray the entire can of intake cleaner *into* the TB while the engine was running? If yes, you might want to change the oil early. I understand TB cleaner is meant to be applied to a rag and then wiped on the throttle plate and throttle bore... that's how I was taught to clean a throttle body. I wouldn't actually spray anything into the intake while the engine is running.
Also I would like to see a photo of the "loss of power" dash light, if you are able to post it.

Did you spray the entire can of intake cleaner *into* the TB while the engine was running? If yes, you might want to change the oil early. I understand TB cleaner is meant to be applied to a rag and then wiped on the throttle plate and throttle bore... that's how I was taught to clean a throttle body. I wouldn't actually spray anything into the intake while the engine is running.
Also I would like to see a photo of the "loss of power" dash light, if you are able to post it.

Attachments

• Reduced.JPG
    Reduced.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 10
Back