Opening up filter

So i searched and really couldnt find anything. What is the best way to cut open an oil filter for inspection? Seems to me if you cut it open, would metallic fleck not litter the filter innards? Is there a write up anywhere, or can someone give me an idea as to how to do this? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a exhaust pipe cutter from harbor freight for 17 dollars when it was on sale and it works great on filters, just don't squeeze hard or one of the wheels will puncture the can and becomes difficult to continue

I use a 4-1/2" angle grinder with cutting wheel knowing full well it will contaminate the filter with metal debris. But I can tell what came from the angle grinder versus the type of metal coming from the engine, which is typically much finer and tends to be embedded in the filter. And if there's big problems (what I'm looking for when I don't do a UOA), no amount of grinding dust/debris will hide that or cause confusion.

Thank ya’ll for the replies. I may be able to get ahold of a pipe cutter. We are full time rv’ers so my tool stash is minimal currently. Have one but it is in storage. Wondering if i start a hole in the end with a screw driver if i can cut the can off with my tin snips. Has anyone ever given that a shot?

Thank ya’ll for the replies. I may be able to get ahold of a pipe cutter. We are full time rv’ers so my tool stash is minimal currently. Have one but it is in storage. Wondering if i start a hole in the end with a screw driver if i can cut the can off with my tin snips. Has anyone ever given that a shot?
Even your dog may be able to chew it open for you some of the filters I've seen open on here that may be one of the preferred methods!

So i searched and really couldnt find anything. What is the best way to cut open an oil filter for inspection? Seems to me if you cut it open, would metallic fleck not litter the filter innards? Is there a write up anywhere, or can someone give me an idea as to how to do this? Thanks
Checkout the Oil Filter forum on BITOG for all things oil filter. :D

Tin snips if you have some heavy duty ones. Doesn't leave debris and contaminate like a hacksaw does.

Make an offer of $25.
Looks like a Longacre filter cutter. I think they are selling for $50.00+ now. I purchased mine some years back and like it. The axle for the cutting wheel arrangement can be improved, but over all, it's a nice tool. Regards

Back