OPEC to increase crude supply by 2 million barrels per day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

As a Republican I have mixed feelings. The drop in crude will lower gas prices and help the pres get re-elected. But I am disappointed that we will slip ever deeper into the reliance on foreign oil and continue our insane passion for gas guzzlers.

I predict the last thing manufactured in this country before the lights go off due to lack of domestic energy will be a new 12 Cylinder Yukon getting 4.5 mpg highway
frown.gif
frown.gif
Very sad.

Well, even Ford admitted that the SUV issue is indeed getting out of control. I heard some time ago that they would pull the plug on the Excursion due to its size and gas consumption. Most people who buy SUVs do not need off-road capabilities and don't really need them to move stuff......the vast majority buy them to "keep up with the Jones'"
I'm also a republican (by way of ideals), but I see where this is all going and the Dems do make some strong points. This gas issue has turned out to be a black-hole that just keeps on sucking stuff in until eventually there is nothing it can swallow. I think we need to focus on fuel efficient and hydrogen-powered vehicles the same way we did with the "moon race".......our future depends on what we do now.

EDIT: One last thing....the Saudis can increase crude production all they want, but if we can't refine it, then we'd still be in the same situation. Crude production is only half of the equation....refining is the other half.

[ May 23, 2004, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Al if you are a republican your statement sounded like pure gloom and doom. The epitome of a republican is driving a 12 cyl Yukon because you sent 10,000 american jobs overseas and you wanted to buy a "status vehicle" with your bonus check you got for saving the company all that money.

quote:

Originally posted by greasezerk:
Al if you are a republican your statement sounded like pure gloom and doom. The epitome of a republican is driving a 12 cyl Yukon because you sent 10,000 american jobs overseas and you wanted to buy a "status vehicle" with your bonus check you got for saving the company all that money.

Well if I were a DemocRat, I would let those companies go bankrupt and then let the rest of the 90% of folks that company employed loose their jobs. I would then take that money that the government would have made in taxes and instead give it to welfare peeps.
wink.gif

This is about the first time in my driving history that fuel costs have actually been high. Sure we had intermediate elevations in price ...but it ended up not reflecting more in the cost of living ...for probably the last 30 years.

I was a gas jockey in the first (or was it the second) oil embargo. Before that the price was about 39.9/gal ...after the embargo ..it rose to about 55/gal ...back then the minimum wage was $1.85 and a "good job" paid about $5/hr. A good job now pays about $17-20/hr. So where's the 'increase'? Our demand has probably doubled and we've gone totally in the wrong direction in fuel economy due to "loop holes" built into the CAFE system for a domestic jobs program (the auto industry).

greasezerk
quote:

'
Do we really need shameless political attacks? Lets see, we are having problems refining oil because the left has made it practically impossible to build a new refinery due to "environmental issues". The silliness is that the older refineries, and powerplants, that spew polution cannot be replaced. Furtheremore, what is with this outsourcing BS. Yes, it's complete and total bull. You were probably the same guy that was complaining about technology 20 years ago saying that robots would replace the American worker. You're arguments are unfounded and WRONG. Why don't you avoid making comments until you've educated yourself on the economic situation. Look at the historical facts. Observe what is occuring in the economy. Newer better jobs will be created in the United States. Yes, some people will be hurt, but making some absolutely stupid attempt to save their jobs with protectionist tactics only puts you in the same situations as the Europeans who are dealing with obscene levels of unemployment. Actually, why don't you move there?

The United States could have an additional one million barrels of oil a day coming from Alaska if the liberal Democrats would only allow it. And the State of Alaska would have benefited greatly. And we are talking about one million barrels going to the USA, not an additional two million barrels going to the entire world. Just think what that one million barrels would have meant to this country, to the economy, to American independence.

quote:

Originally posted by Mystic:
Just think what that one million barrels would have meant to this country, to the economy, to American independence.

It would just meen more delay in getting fuel efficient vehicles. Much better that we start conserving instead of gobbling up all available supply.

quote:

I think this is very misunderstood. I don't believe Republicans are any more wasteful than Democrats. I think when it comes to resources, Republicans tend to be a bit more "realistic."

We have a situation here in San Antonio where the water level at the local aquifer drops almost every summer and we immediately go into water restrictions. The water restrictions are due to some little fish that lives in the aquifer and also some "rare" weed that grows underwater. Almost every year we bend backwards and into a figure 8 to save this plant because if the level drops too much and the weed is exposed to the sun, then it dies.
A Democrat would save the weed at all costs....even if they drag the local economy down.....a Republican would seek options and if all else fails, then F***K the weed and the fish!

The point I trying to make is that while Democrats make valid points about the evironment, they seem to forget that there are other things that are as or even more important (people, economy.) Republicans are the opposite way....."We'll save the environment as long as it doesn't interfere with our lives and the economy."

President Bush challenged all car manufactures to research and develop fuel cell-powered vehicles and alternative fuels. Why aren't the Democrats backing Bush and pushing his proposal???
The answer is simple....A win for Bush is a loss for them! The Democrats (aka Greenpeace) stop the production of nuclear facilities and new refinaries, but when the country faces energy shortages, then they blame Republicans and demand the fuel reserves (intended for real emergencies) be opened!
confused.gif

Classic case of ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't!
dunno.gif

My $1 worth!
patriot.gif

quote:

One last thing......many people who buy gas guzzling SUVs are African-Americans, Hispanics and Democrats (ie, Kerry). The first 2 groups are at least 50% Democrats. Where is the bleeding heart for mother nature?
wink.gif

Geese here is a box of kleenex for you guys. Should any of you loose a job to outsourcing or technology im willing to bet that you will feel differently about the economy and job market in general. How soon that we forget that Pres Reagan denied any monies for developing alternative fuel sources and he actually cancelled research that was in process in the early 80's. Bush will jump on any bandwagon that will make him more appealing to the middle and lower class. Bush has not been good for this country and we simply cannot argue with the results he has given. Trade imbalances and budget deficits are now the status quo. Let the country know when those good jobs are created. The only thing that is keeping this economy afloat is cheap interest rates. Republicans are trying to tell me what is wrong with the democratic party and how great this economy is or will be. If Gore were pres and he had done everything Bush has done, just what do you think the Republicans would be saying now?

Lots of people talk about alternative energy resources. I would like to see a successful new energy resource myself.

But first, what will the elitists in the Democratic Party be willing to accept? When you plug your electric car in the electricity has to come from somewhere. Where does it come from? Coal-fired electric generating facility? Hydroelectric dam (we will have to build a lot of Hoover Dams)? Nuclear power plant? Wind turbines (they wanted to build them off the New England coast and also off of Florida-forget it)? More oil from Saudi Arabia?

When I was in college taking Geology, Chemistry, and Physics classes we will talking about the chances for alternative energy THEN! And that was a long time ago.

They have been working for decades trying to develop fusion reactors. Solar cells and wind turbines will work for some houses. About 12,000 dollars today for a home. How about all of those millions of cars and trucks?

And what will the elitists in the Democratic Party accept? Ethanol from corn? Construction of several nuclear power plants? Construction of several Hoover Dams? Giant wind turbines off the coastline? TELL US! What will you accept?

Hopefully we have some slim hope of still achieving fusion reactors. Otherwise, I really think we are going to have to make some serious adjustments in our lifestyle. Might be a lot fewer cars and trucks. Here at this website we might be discussing the best lubricant for a horse drawn wagon.

After all, the age of the fossil fuels is a very abnormal period of time for the human race. When the fossil fuels are gone in just a few more centuries, there will likely be major changes from today. Enjoy that car or truck or SUV, enjoy your freedom driving down the road! Her grandson or granddaughter or great grandson or great granddaughter may live in a very different age.

But horse, mules, donkeys, oxen have always been good at pulling wagons.

Unless there is a TRUE achievement in the alternative energy field, we just may be back on those wagons.

Mystic,
I agree with the sentiment, but not the timeframe.

I doubt that my daughter will ever take herself on a driving holiday unless we do some serious work NOW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back