Oobleck fork oil.

Oobleck fork oil.
Remember playing with Oobleck as a kid?
Any petrochemical engineers here?
Typically Oobleck was made with 2 parts cornstarch and one part water. It’s a non-Newtonian fluid. Under low stress it was more liquid but under heavy stress was more solid. See what I’m getting at? Fork oil! Oil molecules are modified to, in effect, change viscosity with temperature changes to give us multiviscosity oil. Instead of changing with temperature, Oobleck inspired oil would change viscosity under stress. Voila! The perfect fork oil!

Oobleck goes back before mc fork oil. Theodor Geisel invented it. Bartholomew was his first customer.

1711057429556.jpg

Oobleck fork oil.
Remember playing with Oobleck as a kid?
Any petrochemical engineers here?
Typically Oobleck was made with 2 parts cornstarch and one part water. It’s a non-Newtonian fluid. Under low stress it was more liquid but under heavy stress was more solid. See what I’m getting at? Fork oil! Oil molecules are modified to, in effect, change viscosity with temperature changes to give us multiviscosity oil. Instead of changing with temperature, Oobleck inspired oil would change viscosity under stress. Voila! The perfect fork oil!

If I've understood what this Oobleck stuff does, in damper rod forks where the damping already rises exponentially with speed, a fluid that thickens under stress is the exact opposite of what is needed.

Back