Online resource for travel trailer wheel sizing information?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some sort of an online resource that I've so far failed to find, that lists which travel trailers use which size of wheels?

Backstory:
I will be headed out on a big adventure, to go fetch a 1998 Wilderness model 26T travel trailer for my Dad.

The one thing that concerns me, is that it doesn't have a spare tire and wheel, and we're going to have to pull this thing 150 miles to get it home. Yay. The seller said that two tires are 2 years old.... but two tires are around 8 years old. As soon as I get it home, the 8 year old tires will be replaced.

I will be sure that the 4 tires that are on the ground, are checked over and are properly inflated before we head home with it. The camper is in a shed when it isn't being used, so the tires *should* be in better condition than some that have been directly exposed to the elements for years.

I know from pdf images of manufacturers literature that are online, that the tires are a ST205/75-15, load C. I can also determine from pictures, that it uses a 5 lug rim.

The most popular application for travel trailers such as this is a 5 lug, 4.5" diameter... but there are also 4.75" diameter and 5" diameter available. One local store has a 4.5" in stock, and another has a 4.75" in stock.

I've looked online for a guide that lists which travel trailers use which wheels, but have failed to find one after searching last night. I could go with the odds, and buy a rim with a 4.5" hole... but it would only be a guess.

I'd ask the owner, but I'm not sure if he has the skill set to measure the wheel spacing, and I really don't want to bother him with this either... if I can figure this out on my own.

I am not aware of anyone who has compiled a list of what size tires and wheels trailers came with.

But you could ask here: RV.net

I'll bet someone has an identical trailer and can help you.

A word of warning: Trailers from that era weren't always equipped with large enough tires (load carrying capacity-wise). Plan on upgrading to a higher load range - or even to a larger size (which will likely necessitate a wider wheel!)

Also, see if you can figure out how to weigh it. Preferably by each wheel position, but at the very least by axle.

You don't need to do all this until after you get it home.

And what appears to be working best are Goodyear Endurance series tires.

The 26T is 4790 lb dry. C tires would be correct for that.
In some cases, you can move to D tires on C rims and run them to the max pressure the rim is rated and get slightly more headroom.
There are C, D, and E rims though, all with their own max pressures.
The rims in the web shots look like standard steel 5 on 4.5.
I have had good luck with Hercules trailer tires as replacements.
I think I read that Goodyear recently moved trailer tire manufacturing back to the US..

in a 15 inch wheel you are going to be limited on tire selection. I replaced the ones that came on our toy hauler with the Maxxis trailer tires, they are E range tires, I would highly recommend them as I have had no issues at all in 8 years with them. Goodyear does not make a 15 inch trailer tire, at least not the last time I looked.

Originally Posted By: thastinger
in a 15 inch wheel you are going to be limited on tire selection. I replaced the ones that came on our toy hauler with the Maxxis trailer tires, they are E range tires, I would highly recommend them as I have had no issues at all in 8 years with them. Goodyear does not make a 15 inch trailer tire, at least not the last time I looked.

Maxxis is good too. Several friends and fellow glampers with them.
Goodyear makes all sizes.
Goodyear

Just replaced the weather-cracked 13" tires on my tow dolley. They had a 3-digit date code so were from the 1990s at best.

I would just check the air and go for broke.
laugh.gif

Make sure you run them at the max pressure on the sidewall, that's what you do for trailers.

Can you just have the tires replaced in the town where you're picking it up?

They are most likely 5 on 4.5" dia rims. Can you borrow a spare rim/tire? 5 on 4.5 is super common, then you'd have a spare if you needed it. If it turns out to be the wrong size, at least you didn't waste any money and you'll probably make it back anyway.

Or buy a 5 on 4.5" with a mounted tire you can return if it doesn't work out (thinking Meijer, Tractor Supply or Menard's around here)? I'd probably return it anyway because I'd want a good name brand tire.

I prefer Maxxis and Goodyear. I was buying Maxxis and had good luck with them but bought Goodyear Endurance tires this time because they are made in the USA, which was not an option up until they started this new line of tires. Everything else is made overseas. I always upgrade to the next size or load range up to get myself some safety margin. If it has 205/75R15 LRC tires, buy 205/75R15 LRD tires and keep the sidewall at max pressure. That has always led to no issues for me. I also replace them when they hit their 5 yr birthday from the date code on the sidewall.

Originally Posted By: beanoil
Originally Posted By: thastinger

Maxxis is good too. Several friends and fellow glampers with them.
Goodyear makes all sizes.
Goodyear

I'm no expert on trailer tires, but I don't see where GY makes a 15" load range E tire, which is what I understood the OP to desire.

I'll second the Maxxis 8008 tires. No problems had several sets. I keep mine within 2 lbs of max pressure ( 48 psi cold). I also have mine balanced. MY dual axle travel trailer has 13 inch tires, and no room for larger ones. The Maxxis 8008's have never give me a bit of trouble. But i check my pressure every trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back