One of the most intersting bike ever built

Status
Not open for further replies.
totally agree with the lack of respect accorded to motorcyclists. However, I have my doubts as to the effectiveness of loud exhausts having any impact..... One thing is certain, however, (around here anyhow) it is leading to the closing off of public roads to motorcycle traffic......

Police should nail people to the cross for driving while talking on the cel or texting. Sadly, despite laws being in place in most places, they are too seldom applied.

as for the "zoom splats", virtually any bike over 500cc is capable of doubling the speed limit.... despite riding a "sporty" bike, I am a disciplined rider (can't afford to lose my permit) and get passed by other bikes, not just sportbikes, but Harleys, Gold Wings, BMWs.... proof that the problem lay in the rider (and his/her lack of discipline), not the bike......

incidentally, a loud horn may be a worthwhile investment, not to mention better for the long-term health of motorcycling..... Guess I'll have to question the next open-pipe rider coming through my neighbourhood and waking my daughter (and annoying the f**k out of me, and everyone else in the neighborhood) what his rationale is for revving his tractor up when there is no other moving car in sight.......

There is a inconsiderate loud pipe Harley Rider in our neighborhood. He goes to the gym at 4:30AM, and feels he needs to warm up the engine for 2 minutes at 2000 RPM. He also double parks in the cul-de-sac, and blocks everyones mailboxes with his work van during the middle of the day. The world has just gone RUDE

How did we get on beating up Harley Riders over loud pipes out of a Vintage Honda thread.

That little Honda is amazing.

There is plenty of technology in a new Harley, it is just different technology than a vintage racing bike or a modern sport bike.

There are at least as many obnoxious sport bikes as Harley's around the ATL and I never subscribed to the "Loud Pipes Save Lives" mantra anyway.

It would be nice if more of the homologated exhaust that are sold in Europe were available and more people would choose them.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
It would be nice if more of the homologated exhaust that are sold in Europe were available and more people would choose them.

Doubt it... they fly straight past anythign resembling a slip-on straight to the straight pipes..... they are attention-starved and found a rude and annoying way to get it......

Now back to the thread about the engineering jewel that is the little Honda six........ I recall one of the major US bike rags (Motorcyclist?) did an artilce a few years back about a chap who built an exact copy of the little Honda from scratch... lots of pics... amazing feat of tenacity and engineering.....

P.S. To Hermann: There must be a lot of traffic in your neighbouhood at that hour, hence his reason for revving the engine.... it's all about safety, remember.....

It's the busiest cul-de-sac in the KC metro.
smile.gif
He parks it outside, one of these mornings it is going to be missing plug wires or something that will keep it from starting. I am not the neighbor closest to his loud pipes, plus I am too old to go to jail.

To stay on topic, love watching 2-stroke Grand Prix moto racing, especially since the advent of on-board cams.

sadly, they did away with the two-strokes in GP racing on the groudns the four-strokes are more relevant to the bikes people actually ride).... would be nice if someone stepped up with some DI two-stroke road bikes, may force them to bring them back.....

back to the Hog tangent for a second, I just don't buy that whole safety argument; it may be the reationale for a few people, but my experience being around motorcycles/motorcyclists for 35 years tells me it's mostly an image thing; unfortunately, it hurts the whole industry...... just as the other braindead behaviours do....

Originally Posted By: Mik
sadly, they did away with the two-strokes in GP racing on the groudns the four-strokes are more relevant to the bikes people actually ride).... would be nice if someone stepped up with some DI two-stroke road bikes, may force them to bring them back.....

back to the Hog tangent for a second, I just don't buy that whole safety argument; it may be the reationale for a few people, but my experience being around motorcycles/motorcyclists for 35 years tells me it's mostly an image thing; unfortunately, it hurts the whole industry...... just as the other braindead behaviours do....
I guess you've never had a vehicle pull into your lane of travel because your too quiet? Not buying that one. You can blow your horn until it blows up and people will still pull into your lane. The fact is most drivers don't care. It's said if you make yourself more visible you'll be safer, more people are blind the deaf these days, so sound lets them know your beside them. So what if they turn around and look at you, at least they will know your there.,,

and soon the only place you'll be able to enjoy your open-piped wonder will be in your own yard as you will be banned everywhere else, along with taking the rest of us with you.....

have I had morons cut in front of me? Of course I have. I have learned to be alert and aware of what is going on around me. I have had to make some quick decisions, but I'm still here, and I ride over 10,000 miles per year. Sorry, there are better ways of achieving your goal that won't ruin it for everyone else.......

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
The fact is most drivers don't care. It's said if you make yourself more visible you'll be safer, more people are blind the deaf these days, so sound lets them know your beside them. So what if they turn around and look at you, at least they will know your there.,,

Think it will help? especially if someone has music on full blast in the car? Keeping lights on will help more.

I hate loud bikes especially when I sit in old part of town, enjoying meal on the nice evening in the cafe close to the road.
And then some J@rk shows up ( or bunch) and rev the [censored] out of their bikes, while pass by or sitting on red light. Why? It's two lane street, with slow 35 mph limit traffic. Just fing annoying. Makes me want to throw something at them.
My Fiat is loud, but I try to keep it down while I'm going in neighborhood or such areas where people try to relax.

Last edited:
The antics of the open-pipe crowd (as evidenced by some of the frustation being expressed; revving bikes up in residential areas, at stop lights... in all kinds of places where there is NO danger of being cut off or is there ia danger from not bieng noticed) is just further proof that safety is a red herring.

Perhaps riding bikes that are set-up to react to such situations, (ie. ditch the silly high-rise ape hangers which about as ergonomically inefficient as one can conceive for handling a motorcycle) learning the necesary skills (take defensive riding courses; learn to use all of your motorcycle's abilities (including the front brake!!!!!!!) and acquiring the proper equipment (yes, a really loud horn, and using it!)..... will all do way more for your personal safety and will not draw the ire of society at large......

Motorcycle-Ape-Hanger-32.jpg

Case in point.... does anyone really think this is an effecient and effective riding position from which to undertake an evasive manoeuver? Notice the small single front disc? This on a bike that likely weighs in the neighbourhood of 600+ lbs? Assuming the chap even knows how to use it (which is often NOT the case with this crowd; don't beleive me, ask rider training instructors.... I have!) he is still an accidnet looking for a place to happen. Oh, but wait, he'll be ok, he is running open pipes.........

you can take him off the road too.... no issues here..... I don't care to share the road with morons of any stripe... period! Sorry mate, but your equating this moron with "doing the right thing" shows you really don't get it...... No one in their right mind will try to defend his type..... The ONLY saving grace I can find for loser-boy in the vid is that his bike ilkely makes way less nose that the open-pipers you so vociferously defend... making him less likely to wake up the neighbours (hnece dra3wing their ire) and get riding areas closed off for ALL motorcyclists.....

Here is a prime example of "Metric bike" as you so love to call them, that is well set-up (ergonomically speaking), has two front rotors (revolutionary, I know), with a rider dressed in items other than slippers and a shorts (we tend to refer to it as proper riding attire).

Now, you will likely say taht he will die from the heat,.... but he can quickly swap for mesh jacket and he'll be good to go...... note that said "Metric" bike has low-end torque that will put any cruiser to shame, and is all-day comfortable.... truth may be hard to take, but try it
smile.gif

Suzuki%20Bandit%201250.jpg

Oh, and that thing on his head is called a helmet.... quite a bit more effective than nothing or even the thickest bandana....

Out of respect for the OP, this thread jack is now over.... sorry for the tangent....

Like he's never been run off the road by someone saying" I didn't see or hear him". You guys must not ride much. Dress like Flash Gorden if you want to, but the fact you don't want to acknowledge is sound works better then knowing the rules of the road, or wearing a bright vest no one is looking to see.,,

unbelievable....... you heard it here folks, no need for rider training or staying alert, for ensuring your bike is in good mechanical order or properly equipped to circulate on public roads, everyone's ticket to safety is open pipes!!!! Open pipes provide you with an invisible shield that makes you impervious to all sources of harm or danger (except, of course, deaf drivers or those playing loud music, for they are somehow not subject to this magical shield)......

This would explain why NHTSA is apparently looking at mandating open exhausts for all vehicles... brilliant I tell you, simply brilliant.......

I hope you have a big yard, cause it'll soon be the only place you'll be able to ride that open-piped Milwaukee wonder... mind you, you should be safe there.......

now, how about that Honda six everyone?

it would be funny were it not for the fact that these noise makers are beginning to really harm motorcycling in a society that is ever-increasingly obsessed with quietness, right to quality of life and curbing noise pollution (which is EXACTLY what it is) .... if they only ruined it for themselves I truly couldn't care less, but when it causes bikes to be banned from an increasingly number of neighborhoods, towns and other public areas for those who ride in a repectful manner, it pi**es me off (and obviously, many others too).......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back