One of the first hybrids was based on a 42 series B&S Opposed engine

To do that, the company's engineers equipped it with an air-cooled and carburated flat-twin engine rated at only 18 hp. This was the kind of unit that could be found in lawnmowers, and with a displacement of 694 cc (42 cubic inches), it was almost as small as the air filters of the era's underpowered V8s.

Not even the 46 series.. I think these are great engines, I have it in my tractor.

I've read that article before & thought it was very interesting. Hybrid looks a bit different now but still has the same mission to save fuel.

We’ve talked about this one before.

I mentioned this car then, too, and remain a fan of the concept - turbine/electric. We would call it a “plug in hybrid” today.

Recharge from a the grid, unless you’re driving long distance, at which point the turbine fires up to charge the batteries. Regenerative braking on the electric motor. The turbine offers fuel flexibility. It will run on about anything. Simple engine. Way too much power!

1975. Nearly 50 years later, sadly, the world has only produced cars with elements of this great idea.

Last edited:
Back